Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does Anyone Else Think Like Me >
  • Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

• Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Old 10-24-2010, 12:23 PM
    Power Poster

Almost all of the quilts I have made were gifts. I make quilts for family members who will treasure a handmade them. That would have broken my heart to see the gift discarded and used for a rag. Their loss to never, ever receive your quilted love again!
    Old 10-24-2010, 01:50 PM

I didn't actually make the first baby quilts with the thought in mind of they would be used by the recipients because their Mom's also made many hand crafts for gifts. I just felt they would appreciate them. They did the children grew up with them, took them on visits to relatives, etc. I do know that as these same children have grown and married I have felt a bit of hesitation about making them quilted gifts because I don't think the wives are the type to appreciate such things. They tend to like "store bought" mass produced items. Now I turn my sights on children and the less fortunate who as sick or recovering to gift my quilts to.

Andie :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 PM
    Power Poster

I have only 2 quilts at present. Most of mine have gone as gifts for weddings. birthdays, etc. I have sold some. Not a lot of profit but helped buy more fabric. I love making quilts and finding a nice home for them. Some day I hope to make a quilt for myself. Not in any hurry though.
    Old 10-24-2010, 02:21 PM

I have a notebook with "questionnaires" on my family members that I would want to quilt for. I have their favorite colors, likes and dislikes, etc., so that when I get ready to make them a quilt or throw, I'll be in the ballpark of what they like. I also have a "return one time" policy. I ask if it's really not what they want, that they work with me to get one they'll like and return the first one. Nobody's returned one yet, and they all say they like them.
    Old 10-24-2010, 02:25 PM

My sons were best men in weddings this past summer. I went to the bridal registery to find out there bedroom colors. They both loved the quilts.
    Old 10-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Our last quilt guild meeting was all about its charitable ventures. The guild gives to 2 children's homes, a hospital and nursing homes as well as the quilts for servicemen. The director of one of the children's homes came and explained how much the kids enjoyed having something all their own. And the liason with QOV read letters of thanks from servicemen that were quite touching. So, rather than making a lot of quilts for in-laws, etc., I'm hoping to get myself organized enough to do some charity quilts.
    Old 10-24-2010, 03:13 PM

I have no children and therefore cater to the nieces and nephews on my side of the family. There are eight all together. I give them a twin quilt when they graduate from high school - I generally ask for their input. It was always something of a tradition within my family, as they all asked at Christmas one year if I would do it. Then my husband asked me to do some for his family. I made a Drunkard's Path twin size quilt for our nephew (red and gray -his favorite colors - 3.5" finished squares) - I got nothing. Not a hug, not a thank-you, not - that must have taken a long time to make, not a single thing. I am still ripped to this day about it. I guess, he didn't ask for it, so I shouldn't be upset. But, I was raised that no matter what - you always said thank you for anything you received. I love that my nieces and nephews on my side of the family cherish and use them. I'm sure I'll make them wedding ones too, when that time comes.
    Old 10-24-2010, 03:30 PM

That is EXACTLY what happened to a baby quilt I made for a relative....garage floor w/ grease and oil on it. It was for her first baby. She's had 6 more babies, but no more quilts from me! I continue to make baby quilts for all other babies born into the family though.
    Old 10-24-2010, 03:32 PM

The two Guilds that I belong to make quilts for needy babies at our local hospital, For disabled Veterans at the Annual DV Winter Sports Clinic at Snowmass Ski area and Community quilts for accident, illness, house fires,etc. The rest are for family and friends. I only use one bed and can only use a few quilts of my own.
    Old 10-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Sometimes it is a shame to see that some only value something by how much it cost in $$ to make, rather than how much it cost physically and emotionally. No one gets one from me unless I think there is a mutual acceptance of that concept. A male acquaintance of mine gave away a quilt he was given by a lady in his adopted town because he didn't like the indigenous colours and design that she had made them in. As he is not Australian, I am sure she was making an "Australian Quilt" to welcome him. So your point was evidenced there. I personally think it is beautiful - but it is now up for raffle.