Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does Anyone Else Think Like Me >
  • Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

• Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Old 10-24-2010, 03:49 PM

This year I made birthday quilts for my 2 kids, and my sister and my brothers and sister in laws. I asked them for their 3 favorite colors. The design was up to me. So far everyone loves them. Am sending my son and BIL theirs next week. Then my SIL and I will be done! THEN I can work on all the projects I want to make for me! :)
    Old 10-24-2010, 03:54 PM

One woman made a quilt for her son and daughter-in-law as a wedding gift. It was a double wedding ring and had more than 3,500 pieces. One day she went over to her son's house and saw the quilt in the dog's pen. She took the quilt back with the excuse she was going to wash it. It was never returned.
    When our son was married I asked him if they would like a quilt. I didn't get a response, so they got money instead. At least they would use that.
    Old 10-24-2010, 04:29 PM

I have an Aunt that treasures hand made items so much that she does not use them either!! She will show them to everyone that is willing to look at them!! LOL So, if she requests something - I will make it,but I try to get her to use it too!!!
    Old 10-24-2010, 04:30 PM

The only quilts I have given away have been appreciated by my nieces, nephews and my daughters when they were expecting their babies and as thank yous for people who have done something special for me. I also made one for my son and his new wife and they both loved it. since they live out of state and we don't visit that often it would be awhile before I'd know if they really don't like it. But my understanding is that they're decorating one of the bedrooms in their new house around that quilt which was a beautiful carpenters wheel. I think it was the nicest quilt I've done so far.
    I have also made a quilt for each of my 5 grandchildren for Christmas last year to keep and use at our new summer home in the mountains. The rest of the quilts that I make I keep and might some day give some away, but it would have to be to someone that is really special to me.
    I swore up and down that I'd never make a quilt for my one daughters. My mother had quilts made for my girls when they were teenagers (for their hope chests) and my oldest daughter uses hers for the beach and the yard. When she asked me to make a rag quilt for her I thought hard about it before actually making it. She uses it all the time (in the house) and asked for another one for her birthday this year. I made another one for her and one for her husband (to use in their theatre room). She uses hers but he never said "thank you" so it's his last one.
    If and when I would ever see it being used for working on the car and covered with oil I think I would just break down and cry.
    I've joined a guild though and I think making quilts for the needy is just a great idea. We do that at the guild but they provide the fabric. I just might make some on my own from now on and donate them.
    I'm always working on a quilt because I love to do it. Quilting has taken over my life. I don't work on any of my other hobbies anymore. I guess when it leaves our hands we shouldn't be concerned with what happens to it because it's no longer ours....but that's difficult!
    Old 10-24-2010, 04:35 PM

I made a beautiful basket quilt for my DH's bro and new wife. SIL never shows the patchwork side, only the back, as the baskets don't go with her Mardi Gras decor. :roll:
    SIL considers quilts to be blankets with no value to them.
    I asked if I could make my niece and nephew twin size quilts for their beds and SIL said they had enough blankets.

Now I only make charity quilts for kids and our Soldiers. I know they are appreciated by the recipients.
    Old 10-24-2010, 04:36 PM

I made a beautiful basket quilt for my DH's bro and new wife. SIL never shows the patchwork side, only the back, as the baskets don't go with her Mardi Gras decor. :roll:
    SIL considers quilts to be blankets with no value to them.
    I asked if I could make my niece and nephew twin size quilts for their beds and SIL said they had enough blankets.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719fgaxFs

Now I only make charity quilts for kids and our Soldiers. I know they are appreciated by the recipients.
    Old 10-24-2010, 05:22 PM

Have been reading this thread this morning (and have read a few similar ones as well) I also don’t worry about the what ifs?

While I haven’t been quilting for as long as some people I have made quite a few quilts. Have only kept one or two of them for my own use, while my DD has commandeered two of them, I made one for her good friend who uses it regularly and several for other friends. I also make one or two a year and donate to charity for raffle prizes.

Once they have left my hands though I do not worry about them at all and this is because I love making them, and can’t bare the thought of them accumulating unused in my cupboard. Now that would be a real waste.

Maybe1day
    Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I have to say that the relative that did that would never get another gift from me.
    AMEN!!!! Even an imbicile knows anything made by someone has been made with love and care pfffffftttt on them
    Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 PM

My gosh! That would make me sick.
    Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 PM

Before I give away a quilt to anyone, I have to feel confident that the recipient would like the design, the color choices, the size, etc. Some people don't even like home-made quilts, bless their little pea-pickin' hearts.

As we all do, I put a lot of creativity, ingredients, time & work into the quilts I make. Although I have many WIP's here, all the ones I've completed over the years have been given away, have been and still are appreciated.