Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone ever feel guilty..... >
  • Does anyone ever feel guilty.....

• Does anyone ever feel guilty.....

Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM

[quote=Sadiemae] Exerpt: I know that color and contrast are the main thing I am drawn to,
    :) That would be Bargello for Sadiemae :thumbup:

Yes, some quilts draw me into them and some do not. Some I admire so much I just don't have the right words to compliment the quilter.
    Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM

There are some that I truly do not like, and would not use because they simply are not to my personal taste. And I am sure that people think the same of those that I am likely to make. But as a beginning quilter, I look to see the workmanship, and believe me, I have learned from every single one of the quilts or photos that I have seen. That alone is worth the time to look.
    Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM

I don't feel guilty at all. I don't ooh and ahh over every painting in a museum, but I can appreciate the work that went into them. Just think how boring life would be if everyone liked the same things.
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:14 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN
    No guilt-just a learning opportunity. When I first started quilting I did the traditional patterns in traditional calicoes then branched out into more modern patterns and fabrics. Now I find I'm drawn again to the traditional patterns made with modern fabrics. Things I dislike or like are constantly changing. Am I growing as a quilter or just schizophrenic LOL???
    No matter the pattern, fabric, or style, I think every quilt is beautiful :D:D:D

I agree... my tastes have changed and evolved and evolved again LOL
    I contribute it to seeing so many of the beautiful quilts here! Seeing a pattern that was pretty, and then done in another color way or style of fabric has got my attention more than once!
    I love that my horizons have been broadened :D:D:D
    Old 11-09-2010, 06:22 PM

No, it wouldn't do for all of the quilts to be the same.
    Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 PM

Guilt should never be involved about liking or disliking something. Guilt is too negative and I simply don't have time for that! I have enjoyed EVERY pic I have seen here. I think about how something could be different to be added to my lifestyle or personal color scheme OR not needing to change a thing. Even my likes and dislikes have changed since seeing some of the FAB quilts! This board is like a big text book on patterns, piecing, color combos and just life. Hope the bell never rings for the classtime to come to an end. :) (although I need a forced recess occasionally!)
    Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
    Power Poster

Nope. I also don't feel bad about being the only person who likes an "odd" quilt. I do not generally jump on the name-dropping bandwagon and have seen some less than impressive pieces from well-known designers. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate or respect the workmanship that goes into it.
    Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 PM

I agree. Quilts are ART. Hand made art objects are highly regarded now and in the past. My cousins who still live in the hills back East tell me of the unbelievable prices some of the quilters get for hand made quilts. And I won't even talk about the lovely ones the Amish make, and sell for a small king's ransom!!
    My DH was an artist, and spoke of one of his cousins who was told she won a blue ribbon at a highly regarded art show. She took several family members to see her "modernistic" painting, then started screaming that they had put it upside down!! No one else could prove it one way or the other, because no one could see anything except the wild slashes of color. (I don't care much about that type of ART, but to each his/her own.)

She won first prize and a lovely blue ribbon. But she still was not a happy camper!!

Aren't we all the same? WE see our small failures in our quilts, but no one else can, even when we show others what we consider the bad parts.

Let's try to love ourselves more and appreciate what we can do, not worry about what we can NOT do. And if we can find one thing to like about another's quilt, let's tell them about it. We need to keep alive the joy in quilting, of making an art object that will be loved for a life time and beyond.
    Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 PM

Whoops, hit the "Send" button twice.
    Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by RkayD
    To each his own I say...I don't fall in Love with everything but I sure can admire what it took to get them finished.
    I second this...