Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone ever feel guilty..... >
  • Does anyone ever feel guilty.....

• Does anyone ever feel guilty.....

Old 11-10-2010, 04:57 AM

I usually love everyone's quilts and wish I were as good at piecing and quilting as the people on here. I don't comment on everything here because if I do I wouldn't have time to do anything.
    Old 11-10-2010, 05:07 AM

I would be surprised at myself if I liked everything. Seeing a few that I don't like, and then a few I do, helps me to understand what I am drawn to in a quilt, and helps me to learn to reproduce those elements in my own projects.

Also, sometimes it makes me more confident about my own (modest) ability when I see a project someone else is proud of and other people say is nice and I think "well- it is not bowling me over that much and furthermore I could do as well myself!"

The only time I ever feel bad about not liking somehting is if someone has gone to a lot of trouble to make it for me. The I would lie and say I love it. Otherwise, I avoid commenting, or try to say something positive which is not a lie- there is usually something I like, even if the overall look does not appeal to me.
    Old 11-10-2010, 05:14 AM

I have never felt guilty about what I think of a quilt. The quilt itself is an expression of the quilters world. Art. Don't feel guilty because you don't care for the quilt. You can never please everyone. Enjoy them for what they are.
    Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 AM
    Power Poster

I agree with the other comments here. I sometimes see quilts that are just not for me personally, but I can sure admire the talent it took to make it. And, yes, thank goodness we don't all like the same things!
    Old 11-10-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    I agree with the other comments here. I sometimes see quilts that are just not for me personally, but I can sure admire the talent it took to make it. And, yes, thank goodness we don't all like the same things!
    My feelings exactly!! The reason I wouldn.t take commissions is having to work in colours I.m not comfortable with! But I appreciate all quilts and the skill of the quilter.
    Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 AM

I have too many other things that I can feel guilty about to feel that way over my love or lack of love for someone else's quilt.. I'm just glad that we have quilts of all colors and design and skill levels.. makes me happy to see a quilt that is better than I can do and ones that are not for me one way or the other!!
    Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 AM

My sister quilts to help her deal with some nervous, emotional problems. We take her work to craft shows and most people ooh and aah over it, but when they find out the cost they become insulting. (She charges $150 for a full sized quilt) That's when I feel bad for her and sometimes think we need to stop taking them to shows. Back to your question though, I don't think you have to feel guilting that you don't like it. Either don't say anything or praise them for the amount of work and effort that went into the project.
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:40 AM

I don't feel guilty if I don't like a quilt because sometimes they are just boring--a 1 patch in 2 or 3 colors--come on.!!
    My rule is tho, not to verablize negativity so I don't say anything about them.
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    Quilts are art. You need not to like them to appreciate the work involved. To each his (her) own. The world would be very boring if we all liked the same thing.
    HOW TRUE !!!