Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone have a laser fabric cutter? >
  • Does anyone have a laser fabric cutter?

• Does anyone have a laser fabric cutter?

Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 AM
    Power Poster

There use to be a place you could send your fabric and what shapes or cuts you wanted cut and have it laser cut and sent back to you. I don't remember the name but it use to be advertised in a small ad in the back pages of quilt magazines. A quilter I talked to years ago at Paducah quilt show told me she sent in yards of fabric to be cut in strips and squares and this was long before pre cuts were introduced!!
    Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 AM

Don't have the laser cuts but do have the go! Depends on what cuts you use the most would be worth having it, such as 2 1/2" strips or 6" blocks....
    Old 06-22-2015, 08:49 AM

The Scan n Cut absolutely would cut your EPP templates. The machine come preloaded with shapes, including hexies. You could set the size you want, determine how many you could get from a sheet of cardstock and save that page in your machines memory for future cutting. No hand drawing. You could also save a second page of larger hexies to be cut from fabric. The cutting mat will take up to a 12"x12" piece of fabric. You will, however, have to put a fabric support sheet on the mat, which is permanent, so this would become a dedicated fabric mat. You do not connect this machine to a computer.

Hope this helps!
    Old 06-22-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Holly H NY
    The Scan n Cut absolutely would cut your EPP templates. The machine come preloaded with shapes, including hexies. You could set the size you want, determine how many you could get from a sheet of cardstock and save that page in your machines memory for future cutting. No hand drawing. You could also save a second page of larger hexies to be cut from fabric. The cutting mat will take up to a 12"x12" piece of fabric. You will, however, have to put a fabric support sheet on the mat, which is permanent, so this would become a dedicated fabric mat. You do not connect this machine to a computer.

Hope this helps!
    Well, interesting.....will have to look into that..price wise too! Wondering which would be more economical..a computer program that would draw geometric shapes - for EPP - anyone know of one, or this scan n cut.
    Old 06-22-2015, 01:49 PM

I use my scan and cut for piecing as well as applique (I also dabble with scrapbooking and card making). The machine has more capabilities that I really need, but more is more - right? It will cut my square and draw the seam line also. With fabric, all you need do is starch it really well, or use a good stabilizer. I also cut templates from template plastic as well as hard cellulose from packaging. A bit pricey, but, to me, well worth the money.
    Old 06-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Well, interesting.....will have to look into that..price wise too! Wondering which would be more economical..a computer program that would draw geometric shapes - for EPP - anyone know of one, or this scan n cut.
    Do you know about Inklingo? The gal's name is Linda Franz (http://www.inklingo.com/). She has all sorts of things set up to be printable.
    Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 PM

I got the Cameo Silhouette primarily for use on fusible appliques and it works fine. I can either draw my own or download shapes or even with the special mat, take a photo and use that as the cut shape. I can also cut paper, vinyl, heat transfers and stencils. While it doesn't really work to cut multiple layers, you can repeat a shape over the entire screen and get multiple shapes--either of one shape or different shapes. I did some comparison shopping of it and the Brother Cut N Scan and liked being able to use my laptop(larger screen & a keyboard)and the price was about 1/2 of the Brother.