Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone remember quilts that were made to cover bed and pillows >
  • Does anyone remember quilts that were made to cover bed and pillows

• Does anyone remember quilts that were made to cover bed and pillows

Old 04-30-2011, 06:39 AM
    Power Poster

I remember having a spread that was made that way. One thing to consider is that if you make a quilt like that, it will probably be used as a decorative covering, not to sleep under, since the top will be much heavier than the rest of the quilt. And it will have to always be oriented in the same direction on the bed. Another option would be just to make a matching quilt strip wide enough to cover the pillows, but not attached to the quilt itself. That might give you more flexibility in how you used it.
    Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 AM

All great ideas. Had another idea but don't know whether it would work or not. Do you think it would be possible to make an entirely separate piece and that the piece that would go under the pillow would maybe just be muslin (or whatever) and the part that would ultimately go over the pillow and then tuck under would be a coordinating design much like you would do if you were doing two decorative pillow covers. Then you could use button holes on the strictly muslin part and sew buttons on the reverse side of the quilt thus making it removable to sleep. What say you????
    Old 04-30-2011, 11:02 AM

Yep, And love the idea. To be honest forgot all about them. KNow you casued trouble. Another project for me to make LOL!! :thumbup:
    Old 04-30-2011, 12:48 PM

I had a bedspread in the 60's like that, then made them for my girls when they were learning to make their beds. It is much easier for a child to make the bed. The piece that comes over the pillows is stiched on wrong side to right side of spread. You don't have to tuck this piece under the pillows if it has a nice edge. I purchased an extra bedspread and then cut it up when making the ones for my girls. I think I will do this for the comforter I am going to make for our bed. Thanks for the "remember when".
    Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 PM

I sorta remember them.

However, now I would just make a matching topper to cover the pillows.

ali
    Old 04-30-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I remember having a spread that was made that way. One thing to consider is that if you make a quilt like that, it will probably be used as a decorative covering, not to sleep under, since the top will be much heavier than the rest of the quilt. And it will have to always be oriented in the same direction on the bed. Another option would be just to make a matching quilt strip wide enough to cover the pillows, but not attached to the quilt itself. That might give you more flexibility in how you used it.
    I have a bedspread made like this that came with my RV. And you are correct, Dunster, that they are very uncomfortable to sleep under. Not only because of the weight but because the are too warm. They also come unfolded as your sleeping and moving around and I often woke up feeling like I was being eaten by the bedspread. It only took one trip for me to place a different quilt on the bed. I will say though that the bed made up beautifully with this type of bedspread, if that's your final goal.
    Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 AM

I have never heard of them. I think I would make a separate topper for the pillows because it would be easier for me to make. Boy one never knows what one can learn here. :)
    Old 05-01-2011, 02:36 AM

I never heard of that!! and I have been around for a long time, quilting. Neat idea.
    Old 05-01-2011, 12:21 PM
    Power Poster

Thank you for the reminder :D:D:D