Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does Anyone Use An Embroidery Machine to Quilt or Peice In The Hoop? >
  • Does Anyone Use An Embroidery Machine to Quilt or Peice In The Hoop?

• Does Anyone Use An Embroidery Machine to Quilt or Peice In The Hoop?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:53 PM

I love to quilt on my embroidery machine. Embroidery library has many designs for quilting. And you don't need a stabilizer when you are quilting.
    I havent tried piecing in the hoop yet but that may be next, after Christmas.
    Old 11-22-2010, 05:05 AM

Hi Gina, I'm a Gina too !! LOL
    If you look up "Hoopsisters" on line, you will find patterns for quilting in the hoop. Also, if you e-mail Knit and Sew World in St. Peter MN. they will be able to help. They taught classes using hoopsisters.
    e-mail address for knit and sew world is
    [email protected]
    The couple of blocks I did while working there were a lot of fun !!Also, EQ6 is a great help in designing your blocks.Hope this has helped. Gina in Swartz Creek, MI
    Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 AM

I have made a quilt with piece in the hoop it is a queen size I think it is better to use the patterns that come with the book on my machine I can make the blocks 20% bigger. I am almost done with it . I am quilting it now. I may make more quilts this way it is so easy to do. No mistakesall points are perfect. . Happy quilting, shrabar
    Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, you can piece and quilt in the hoop on your embroidery machine. Hoopsisters has a great way to do it. My dealer (Bernina) taught several classes using their instructions and methods. I didn't take them because I enjoy the more traditional piecing process. However, if I physically couldn't do it, I most certainly would work with my projects in the hooop. Good luck and have fun! You'll make some beautiful quilts this way!
    Old 08-07-2011, 06:00 AM

I've done the "Piece in the Hoop" by Larissa Bland and I loved it. Presently working on Goose Tracks by Hoopsisters and also purchased 4 of their other designs. I'm not a real proficient traditional quilter so piecing in the hoop is wonderful for me. I have a Baby Lock Ellegante and a Pfaff Creative Vision. Be adventurous and try many techniques!
    Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 AM

I've done the "Piece in the Hoop" by Larissa Bland and I loved it. Presently working on Goose Tracks by Hoopsisters and also purchased 4 of their other designs. I'm not a real proficient traditional quilter so piecing in the hoop is wonderful for me. I have a Baby Lock Ellegante and a Pfaff Creative Vision. Be adventurous and try many techniques!
    Old 08-07-2011, 06:22 AM

I haven't pieced in the hoop but I did quilt in the hoop. It was a lap size. I think it would hard to do anything larger. I did the four patch with ME, and FM around the ME litle girls.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-237747.jpe  
    Old 08-07-2011, 06:36 AM

I have a Futura 350 that I bought just for the purpose of machine quilting. It did a fine job on the top but the bobbin seemed to be a bit loose. Then I switched the bobbin thread for a quilting thread with poly blend in the needle. Same results until I washed and dried the quilt. The thread shrunk just enough to look very nice. I've done lap quilts with it but wouldn't go much larger as the quilt does but some weight on the quilting hoop area. I puddled the quilt instead of rolling it so it was looser around the hoop area. Also there's a bit of adjusting time involved in getting the the fabric positioned in the hoop just right. I didn't worry about stabilizer as there were 3 layers. It's fun for small projects.
    Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM
    Gay

Can you imagine/or try squashing a King or Queen quilt into the throat area of a domestic machine to quilt it? It is rather difficult, and considering an embroidery hoop needs this whole area to move around makes it more difficult.
    One of the best ways to do this is to quilt a block as a 'sandwich' [background, batting and backing] You can then use sashing or other methods to join these blocks. Or you could make the quilt in sandwich strips of, say, 12" wide, and quilt, then join another sandwich strip and repeat. Another way is to make the centre block first and quilt, then add blocks around the four sides, quilting as you go, a bit like the log cabin block. Some good sites to check these methods out are Jenny Haskins and Kenny Kreations. Hope this helps