Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone use a lap board? >
  • Does anyone use a lap board?

• Does anyone use a lap board?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I was in an applique class yesterday and there was mention of using a lap board. I didn't get a chance to ask questions, so I am asking you:

If you use a lap board, did you make it or buy it?
    What size is it?
    What is the covering on the surface?
    Is there batting on the top surface?

The way I imagine the thing: It looks like a covered piece of plywood that's been tacked to a pillow. DH is chomping at the bit to make me one. My man likes to help and if I let him (without guidelines) I will have half a sheet of ply on my lap. lol
    I use a June Tailor Cut 'n Press, either my 12" square or 12" x 18". I know what you mean about the "half a sheet of ply" if your husband goes at it without guidelines. If he makes you one, limit him to no more than 1/2" thick and pad the back of it -- to be gentle on your lap and so you can flip it and press on it with your mini iron. OR, you could put the Cut 'n Press on your Christmas list and give him a coupon to shop with.
    Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 PM

My friend and I get together to sew. We are working on applique right now. she has a wooden tray she got at a garage sale. It is a small tray...small enough to put on your lap but big enough for her supplies. It's great!! It has a small ridge around it as trays usually do so it keeps everything on the tray.

She said she would look for one for me. She loves garage sales!!!

I think putting some padding on the bottom would keep it nice and sturdy on your lap.
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 PM

I have a lap desk it has a pillow on the bottom and hard board top,It came with a pencil holder. I added a pincushion to one corner. :D
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:17 PM

I have several of these homemade boards I use mostly for ironing. They are about 18"X24" I use a piece of carpet padding and a piece of duck cloth. They would be really nice to put a cutting mat on the back.
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:17 PM

I have several of these homemade boards I use mostly for ironing. They are about 18"X24" I use a piece of carpet padding and a piece of duck cloth. They would be really nice to put a cutting mat on the back.
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 PM
    Power Poster

Having a ridge to keep things from rolling off sounds nice. I took over the couch last night. Good grief - how much crap can one girl hold in her lap? lol apparently not enough!
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:39 PM

I received my lap-board in the "70's" by an elderly tailor, I was doing alterations in a dry cleaning plant. I found the lap-board invaluable, it is by the side of my sewing machine and is used constantly. The base is 1/4 inch plywood 16x11,covered with batting and cotton cloth stapled to it. I use it when I applique, quilt,do hand work and repairs. I have my iron next to me as well and press what I can on the lap-board without the need to jump up. I would be lost with out it. Hope this helps. You will love it! :-
    Paulette
    Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 AM

Okay, I have never heard of this thing called a lap board. What exactly is this thing and what is it used for?
    Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella
    I just use a toss cushion and it helps to keep the block at the perfect distance for appliqueing..it makes it more comfortable to work and you can also jab your pins and needle into it in when changing thread,etc......
    Thank you, Tellabella ...
    Am currently hand piecing and hand QAYG and a throw pillow has been right in front of me ... just waiting to be used ...and now it is thanks to you and this discussion thread. :D
    Can't believe I didn't think of doing this :hunf:
    Old 11-16-2010, 07:51 AM

I picked up a lap "desk" at WM. it is Denim, with the styofoam beads like in a Bean Bag chair. I really do love it, use it when I am turning edges for applique, It was not expensive, and I think you could probably find it online if you google "lap desk" less than $10.00. Then if he still wants to make it, you will have a pic of what you are looking for