Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone use polyester batting? >
  • Does anyone use polyester batting?

• Does anyone use polyester batting?

Old 07-18-2012, 04:47 AM

I use the thinner cotton one as we don't have much winter down here!
    Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 AM

Depends on the brand. And that's a personal choice. The old Mt. Mist was all I used, but they changed the old machines (circ. 1850) and went to new ones that produces a batt that beards. That said, poly batts are usually more stable than cotton regarding shifting. They can be machine washed. I use a cotton blend on more old time looking quilts and poly on the more modern designs. Poly is also warmer than cotton. It really is personal preference. And don't forget bamboo.
    SandyQuilter
    Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 AM

I love it for quilts that are actually used for daily use. It is lighter, and my youngest son used to say everyone wanted his quilt because it was "way more confortable than anybody elses". They just have a real soft feel with poly batting. Show quilts are another issue - guess it's a personal choice.
    Old 07-18-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by judylg
    I have some and wonder if it is a wise choice in a quilt, I know to hand quilt it is. I have used both warm and natural and the polyester. My question is does it last through washing. The ones I have used it on have only been washed a couple of times. I would think the loftiness of it goes away some. Any opinions? I cleaned my closet and found some I had picked up, my goal to use up what I have.
    Many years ago when I first started quilting, I used some Polyester batting in a throw. It has been washed many times. The only things I have noticed is that occassionally, a thread of the batting will work through the cotton fabric top. I learned later that this is typical with Polyester batting. I now use Hobbs 80/20.
    Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 AM

if it's a frequent use/abuse quilt, i go with the poly that can be washed often. it's usually the kids/grandkids who don't really want a quilt--they want a "comforter", that's tied, fluffy, and easy to care for. for "fancy" or more adult use, i use 80/20 or cotton. i love the washed "old, crinkled" look the best, but the little kids (and grandpup)get the fluffystuff.
    Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 AM

I use whatever is on sale. I just used poly in a king size quilt for my daughter, so much lighter in weight than other battings. I will make her a heavier weight quilt for winter.
    Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 AM

If its a special quilt ie a gift for someone then I always use cotton or bamboo/cotton but for my own use and wall hangings etc I use the cheaper option of polyester
    Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 AM

I use both depending on what I'm using it for and where it is going to be used. But don't forget that the poly batt comes in many different lofts.....I prefer a thinner 4-6 oz. loft, but it does come thicker. Depending on how close you quilt or tie it, it should not shift....just read the recommendation that comes with the batting.
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 AM

My mom used only poly batting in all the quilts she made -- from baby to king size. They all held up with no problems and yes the baby quilts were washed a lot. I prefer poly but have used warm and natural. For me the W&N is too heavy.
    Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM

I only use cotton now for all my projects. Cotton is more breathable(sp) so I've always used it for baby quilts.
    We never want to think of fire but poly would melt to the body.