Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone use polyester batting? >
  • Does anyone use polyester batting?

• Does anyone use polyester batting?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM

I have used polyester for machine and hand quilting without any problems. I only use the low loft as I want my quilts to look aged when they are washed....
    Old 07-18-2012, 12:18 PM

I use it in wall hangings or lap quilts.
    Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 AM

My LAQ uses poly batting, and I've been happy with the results on my quilts.
    Be sure to check the directions on how close to quilt. It washes well and have never had any problems.
    Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 AM

I always use polyester low loft for both hand and machine quilting, I have tried warm and natural and other type, but to me it makes the quilt look like a carpet, I like a softer feeling
    Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 AM

I used poly once and it was quite expensive and it wicked through the black sashing on a paper pieced quilt that had taken a year to make. I use only cotton.
    Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 AM

It depends on what & for whom I am making the quilt for. I have used it all, but personally, I like a blend.
    Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 AM

I just posted a photo of Spring Splash quilt yesterday where I used a low loft batt and sorry that I did. At the time I made the quilt I had not used Warm & Natural. Now it is my choice of batt OR even a flannel that is prewashed a couple of times, it has a nice 'hand' to it and less expensive than W&N. Tho I LOVE W&N ... sometimes the purse strings dictate what I purchase.
    Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 AM

I have always, in the past used polyester, but got started with the cotton and absolutely love it. It definitely quilts differently. I like the way my machine quilts the cotton so much better, the way it handles, and the results. I find it much easier to FMQ with the cotton. I do however use the polyester on the Project Linus quilts. The results are still nice, but it is much harder to control fabric movement when machine quilting.
    Personally, I will always use cotton for my personal quilts.
    Old 07-19-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by judylg
    I have some and wonder if it is a wise choice in a quilt, I know to hand quilt it is. I have used both warm and natural and the polyester. My question is does it last through washing. The ones I have used it on have only been washed a couple of times. I would think the loftiness of it goes away some. Any opinions? I cleaned my closet and found some I had picked up, my goal to use up what I have.
    I have used only polyester and mostly the "traditional" batting. Here in south Louisiana, we actually don't need too much warmth. It's a nice weight (thickness) to hand quilt or to machine quilt. I have made tied as well as machine and hand quilted quilts for my grandchildren. Some of those quilts are probably over 16 years old....and still going strong. I saw one this past weekend and, though it is a bit faded, the ties and the batting is still in place. Our quilts get washed a lot!
    Old 07-19-2012, 06:15 PM
    Power Poster

About all the 100+ quilts have polyester batting. I like it the best and I try to always buy high loft, which is really not all that high.
    I discovered my Son has two quilts I didn;t remember making, I recognized lots of the fabrics that were in it. I made them probably 38-40 years ago, the batting was still all intact, most of the polyester fabric had disappeared. I would bet my boots the poly batting will outlast the cotton fabrics I use now.
    It FMQs very well and much warmer without the weight.

Last edited by Jingle; 07-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.