Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts? >
  • Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

• Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:34 AM

You can't please them all. You quilt to satisfy a need in yourself to make pretty things that are also useful. After such a comment I wouldn't even show them what I made.
    Might be they are jealous of your talents. There are others out there who do appreciate what you do.
    Keep up the good work, you will find your "quilting sisters" among your friends. We care and would love to have you in our family.

Carol J.
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 AM
    Power Poster

The only person in my family who doesn't like quilts is my son's girlfriend, but since they aren't married I won't stress about it. I make them for him and he loves them. Her taste is different but she's a great girl, not liking quilts has nothing to do with me! :D
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 AM

I have the opposite. Made a quilt for 1 and requests for more are coming from everywhere.
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:51 AM

I'm lucky. My family--4 children and 5 grandchildren--think I'm the greatest creater of quilts ever. I really appreciate their comments. They also know how much I enjoy creating. Also my DH doesn't complain too much when I bring more fabric home, only a little. He doesn't understand why I need a stash.
    Sue
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 AM

Two of my sisters have been beggin for a quilt so they're getting one for Christmas this year. My youngest sister said no thanks, we have enough blankets!
    Old 07-26-2011, 06:08 AM

lol...I come from non-sewing, non-crafting family as well. They appreciate what I do; however, one sister wanted quilts for all her in-laws and when I told her what the fabric would cost. She said oh no, just make them like you made ours. Not a clue there!! Like I would use inferior materials for something for my family.
    Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
    I have the opposite. Made a quilt for 1 and requests for more are coming from everywhere.
    Ditto, I cant keep up. But we have a long line of DIY'ers. We all enjoy some type of "homemade" hobby.
    Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 AM

Well at least you did not make give them a quilt that ended up as a dog bed. Yep .. made one that took months and about a month after I gave it to them it was all folded up in the dog bed. I got the message .. no more quilts for them. The only comment from them was "oh ..he just loves it". I was ...speechless. It was a queen size bargello none of the peices was larger than 1 3/4 inch.
    Don't get me wrong I really love dogs .. but mine does not sleep on my quilts.
    Old 07-26-2011, 06:34 AM

I would make the stuffed topsy turvey bunny dolls for my nieces that took forever using very expensive fabric from Japan (stationed there at the time) and send back to the states. Years later I was at an auction and was so upset to find that one of them had made it to this auction all ruined. I knew it was mine for not only the fabric, the label on the back of the bunny, but I would hand paint a little heart on it. Needless to say, no more hand anything for them.
    Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 AM

I have a small family and most of them don't really care for them. They all got one anyway. : )

My quilts go to charitable organizations now.