Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts? >
  • Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

• Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 AM

I love to make quilts. I don't come from a family of quilters or sewers. Not even crafters. I wanted to make both my mom & sis (my only relatives living besides my 2 sons) a quilt for Christmas. When talking to them I just got a sweet but firm..NO THANKS!
    It is so discouraging! I was wondering if anyone on the board has this?
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 AM

Yup, there are people in my family also who are not craft lovers. Just have to make for those who love what we do.:)
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 AM
    Power Poster

Everyone is different. It doesn't make them bad people! It sounds like you have a great relationship with them. They feel comfortable to tell you what they are really thinking, which is a good thing. There are a zillion posts on this board where someone has spent a great deal of time and money on a gift quilt to have it go unappreciated and unused (on the high side) or used to line the bottom of the dog cage (low side). Don't be discouraged. Just continue to show them your completed masterpieces. One day they might surprise you and tell you they'd lilke THAT one!
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:24 AM

Oh yes, they aren't bad people. Everytime I see them I show my projects and I get a weak "that's nice". Luckily, I do have wonderful friends & co-workers who enjoy them.
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    I love to make quilts. I don't come from a family of quilters or sewers. Not even crafters. I wanted to make both my mom & sis (my only relatives living besides my 2 sons) a quilt for Christmas. When talking to them I just got a sweet but firm..NO THANKS!
    It is so discouraging! I was wondering if anyone on the board has this?
    Yes, this is a common thing. My DD doesn't seem to understand my fascination with quilting. All the more reason to do charity quilting. There are many strangers who will appreciate your work and love of quilting. Don't let it discourage you. I bet if they (your family) wrapped up in a flannel quilt they would change their mind in a big hurry.
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:51 AM

I just quilt for those who appreciate it. *shrug* I've posted on knitting communities for several years, and like clockwork someone will post a thread about "what should I knit for someone who doesn't want knitted things." The answer is always a resounding "nothing!" I think the same is true of all handcrafts. Why would you want to give a gift of a quilt to someone who doesn't want a quilt? Gifts are for the recipient, NOT the giver. I think it's kind of selfish to insist on making a quilt for someone because you want to make a quilt, rather than considering that they want a book/set of dishes/gift card. (I'm using the universal "you", not "you CAJAMK" ;)) Just stick with quilting for yourself and the people who can appreciate your effort, and everyone will be happy. :)
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 AM

My son and dil say nicely "We like plain". Well, I don't do plain, I think 100 or more fabrics in a quilt is absolutely necesary. I LOVE scrappy. Luckily, my granddaughters love my quilts, and my daughter, and my friends, and my nieces. So, there is enough appreciation around.
    Judi
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 AM

I watched one of my relatives open a quilt gift at Christmas, and say "Oh. It's a blanket....". I explained the difference between a blanket and a quilt, but it fell on deaf ears. Other people there said "Oh, I LOVE it!", and that's who I make quilts for these days.
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:27 AM

So far people have been gracious and appreciate the thought. I think you want to give people things that make them happy and/or show your appreciation for them. If you ask them what that would be, then you have to listen to them. At least yours told the truth.

Please don't take it personally - a lot of people hate hand-made stuff, no matter that it is. If they can tell it's handmade they don't want it. Not their style. Too hippy-dippy or crunchy-granola or whatever. Good for them ...whether their enjoyment comes from presents from Tiffany's or Walmart's!

That said, HMPH! to them. Please post your quilts so WE can enjoy looking at them! :-) :-) :-)
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 AM

Yes, I think we all know people who do not like our craft. I spent a year looking for some thing my best friend would like, and embroiderd 18 blocks in her favorite colors and it looked beautiful, and I gave it to her & hubby for a special anni. There were no other people around, I didn`t want praise, just wanted them to know how special they were. I was so let down, but I learned something too. In my family, some kids keep asking for quilts and some do not want any old home thing. Who knew?