Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric? >
  • Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

• Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
    Originally Posted by sylvia77
    My husband complains if I want to spend money on fabric, if it's only $5.00! I have to sneak it in so he doesn't get mad. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I've been thinking about your message for a couple of days now and am really bothered by it.

I am sorry when I hear other woman saying they have to ask permission in order to spend money. It doesn't matter who earns the paycheck. In a marriage you are a team.

I think both parties have to understand their budget, but perhaps the two of you could determine the amount of money each of you could spend monthly without having to account for each penny. After bills are paid, and groceries are bought, it might only be $10 or $20 for each of you. The point is, that each of you should be able to spend a little money however you see fit, without having to justify to the other how your spent your share.

My husband and I don't have a set amount for ourselves but neither of us overspend and neither of us would make a large purchase without discussing it first.

it just seems to me that you are both adults and asking permission seems like a parent/child situation. Your husband may not "get" your need for fabric, and I'll bet there might be something he likes that doesn't make sense to you. I hope you two can have a conversation about this and come up with a manageable solution. Then if you want to buy fabric, and he wants to spend his money on ??? both of you will be happy.
    You know, Janet, just a few days after I joined a thread like this started (seems like a monthly thread, lol)
    I posted some thing very similar to your thoughts...

It hurts to read. It hurts to comment too harshly, because we have no ideas what else is going on and we have no ideas if we are speaking to someone in an abusive / destructive relationship

It hurts because here we are, encouraging them to stick up for themselves when really we maybe we should be saying run for your life, ...and how do you know the difference, on line, over the internet?

(I am NOT saying anyone here is in this situation.....please, don't read into this things that are not there.)
    Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 PM

thats a good one !!!!! yep we have a winner, i agree
    Old 01-26-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
    My husband complains if I want to spend money on fabric, if it's only $5.00! I have to sneak it in so he doesn't get mad. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I've been thinking about your message for a couple of days now and am really bothered by it.

I am sorry when I hear other woman saying they have to ask permission in order to spend money. It doesn't matter who earns the paycheck. In a marriage you are a team.

I think both parties have to understand their budget, but perhaps the two of you could determine the amount of money each of you could spend monthly without having to account for each penny. After bills are paid, and groceries are bought, it might only be $10 or $20 for each of you. The point is, that each of you should be able to spend a little money however you see fit, without having to justify to the other how your spent your share.

My husband and I don't have a set amount for ourselves but neither of us overspend and neither of us would make a large purchase without discussing it first.

it just seems to me that you are both adults and asking permission seems like a parent/child situation. Your husband may not "get" your need for fabric, and I'll bet there might be something he likes that doesn't make sense to you. I hope you two can have a conversation about this and come up with a manageable solution. Then if you want to buy fabric, and he wants to spend his money on ??? both of you will be happy.
    You know, Janet, just a few days after I joined a thread like this started (seems like a monthly thread, lol)

It hurts to read. It hurts to comment too harshly, because we have no ideas what else is going on and we have no ideas if we are speaking to someone in an abusive / destructive relationship

It hurts because here we are, encouraging them to stick up for themselves when really we maybe we should be saying run for your life, ...and how do you know the difference, on line, over the internet?

(I am NOT saying anyone here is in this situation.....please, don't read into this things that are not there.)
    I certainly am not trying to encourage Sylvia to get into an argument about this.

I don't know her situation. All I was hoping to do is to encourage her to talk with her husbnd about this situation in the hopes that they could reach some agreement about this money issue.

I ws distressed to hear that $5.00 spent on fabric causes trouble and she feels the need to sneak in fabric to avoid making him mad.

It may be naive of me to think that talking with him might smooth things out. I don't know her situation. I just want the best for her.
    Old 01-26-2010, 03:02 PM

Yep, especially when money is tight. I usually can't sneak anything in, but that's because he has the checkbook and the car. When we have a lot of extra money (which isn't right now!) he doesn't mind my buying fabric.
    Old 01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
    dsj

that's right, get a life mister!!!! My hubby and son dirt bike ride, airsoft, all kinds of hobbies. He knows better to say one little peep about fabric to me, he is catching on, it used to be if he said anything I would buy double. Yep, that's right DOUBLE!!!! I work hard around this house taking care of everything and feeding them, I figure I deserve some beauty in my life, so fabric is it, along with some clothes, pedicures, shoes and what ever else makes me happy.
    Old 01-26-2010, 03:13 PM
    dsj

my hubby just read my reply and is laughing hysterically, he really doesn't say anything, his mom is a quilter and he would never survive her wrath if he gives me a hard time. She is the queen of buying fabric.
    Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Luckily at time time,

we are both retired and it is just the two of us on whom we have to spend........so why not spend it on something that makes me happy....and

when mama's happy, papa's happy

He encourages me to buy what I need, even though I might not need it at present...I might in the near future.....

You younger quilters........there was a time where we really had to watch our pennies and I used a lot of fabric from here and there.......your time will come !!

MaryJane
    Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM

oops........that is at THIS TIME.....

too many times in the post above..... :lol:
    Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen

I certainly am not trying to encourage Sylvia to get into an argument about this.

I don't know her situation. All I was hoping to do is to encourage her to talk with her husbnd about this situation in the hopes that they could reach some agreement about this money issue.

I ws distressed to hear that $5.00 spent on fabric causes trouble and she feels the need to sneak in fabric to avoid making him mad.

It may be naive of me to think that talking with him might smooth things out. I don't know her situation. I just want the best for her.
    Janet, I am 100% IN AGREEMENT with what you said. 100%. I am sorry if you thought otherwise.
    Old 01-26-2010, 03:48 PM

He better not complain. If he did I'd raise a stink when he has to buy a new tool or computer stuff.