Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric? >
  • Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

• Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by BarbieQ
    My husband asked once "why are you buying more fabric"? My reply " it lasts longer than a case of beer"! Never heard another word.
    That's rich :XD:
    Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM
    Power Poster

BarbieQ that's a great reply! You're marriage sounds like a fun marriage. The way it's suppose to be.
    Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM

I'm lucky my husband doesn't say any thing about what I buy. But I am careful not to over do it. He likes the quilts I make for him and also know that Christmas present are bought a head of time and so are birthday gifts.

LOL my grandson wanted to know why I was cutting up a big piece of fabric into little pieces and then making big pieces from them. He is 4 and I am starting him out right he picked out the fabric for his quilt and was watching me make it.
    Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 AM

My DH is encouraging, although he certainly doesn't shop for fabric with me. He knows sewing is my passion, as his is hunting and fishing. It works both ways for us. Whereas he can just hunt and fish pretty much during the day, I can sew well into the night also. Every now and then he might ask me if I'm going to the dungeon again. LOL
    Old 01-27-2010, 08:11 AM

I must say though, that my husband was the one that encouraged me to buy my Bernina about 7 years ago. He went online and at that time they had a no interest deal so he told me to go for it.

Same for me. I got my Bernina two years ago because my old machine was giving me some problems. DH told me to get a new machine. I told him what I wanted was pretty expensive, and he never checked the price, just said get what I wanted. If he only knew....
    Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 AM

Well does your husband have any hobbies? If so tell him he can't spend either. I don't understand women that let their husbands dictate what they do. With all the work a woman does around the house, meals, clothes etc and working a person should be able to do what they want. If you are a stay home woman you still deserve to have a great hobby. I would say good-bye love.
    Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM

My sewing room is a 16X24 Building so I can sneek my stash in with out bothering him I usually go shopping for my stash with my sister or a friend I found it easier to ask for forgiveness than permission to buy stuff
    Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 AM

never says a word he is always interested in what i will make next i can tell when he is missing me he coms down stairs and sits and talks and watches then he goes back up i am on eof the lucky ones i geuss you should say he is the best what makes me happy mskes him happy i am spoiled i geuss (he is too)
    Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by dljennings
    Originally Posted by Eddie
    My wife and I actually keep separate checking accounts. Her paychecks go into her account, mine go into my account. We each have designated bills to pay each month, and having separate accounts just makes it easier to manage. So she doesn't care what I spend my money on, and likewise I don't care what she spends hers on. We've been doing it this way about 10 years now, and life is much less stressful now!
    my husband & i do the same, and have since we've been together. he has no idea what i spend on fabric, or what it costs....he came up to my studio & looked at my stash & said "you must have a $100.00 worth of fabric here" yeah times 10or 12, but then again, i don't know what he spent for those 4 sheets of cherry plywood, or the cherry stock he just got... works for us!
    Works for me. We have always had separate checking accounts too. I never question what he spends and he doesn't question me, although I always balance the accounts. And every year I enter checking account and charge card transactions into excel and then sort to know where our money was spent. That can be a real shocker sometimes. LOL
    Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
    Power Poster

Now that all the kids are through college and no money owed to anyone, hubby and I are always surprised at how much we don't spend now. After raising three girls, a couple hundred a month on fabric doesn't get a reaction at all.