Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric? >
  • Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

• Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 AM
    Power Poster

My husband is such a great "enabler" :-D He always goes with me, and always asks if I am sure that is all I want. He also carries the bolts for me to the cutting area. Sometimes there are at least 15 :lol: :lol: :lol: We try to support each other in our hobbies. He hunts arrow heads, and I have spent many a day walking around with him, looking down at the ground. :lol: :lol: If he didn't support what i do, I think it would take some of the joy away, so am glad he does. We raised seven chldren. and put all through school, so now it is our turn to have a little fun, within reason of course. :-D
    Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by mamaw
    Mine does complain, because I don't sew as often as I should. I think if he could see more end product it would make him happier. He just doesn't understand the importance of a "stash" or how fabrics come and go....making for one having to buy it when it is out there if it is something I just have to have.
    Same here. If I actually produced something, he wouldn't be as upset, but I haven't sewn/quilted much lately. I also have a good size stash and he does not understand why I need to get another piece of fabric when I have so much already. I do have a dedicated sewing room and he's fine with that, but I guess the key message I'm catching here that might be helpful to me is that I need to start producing more. :D
    Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 AM

mine doesn't say anything, but proboably doesn't know the cost of it all. He has a building full of woodworking machines so he spends alot too.
    It costs alot to keep wood handy to use so I guess he understands having a stash.
    Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 AM

I have a great husband and he loves the fact that I quilt.. but when money is tight he gets alittle edgey when I spend money on fabrics.. I try not to spend alot, and feel guilty when I do, but I don't have a very good stash of fabric and there are so many things I want to do.. They are for great causes and he knows that.. he doesn't ever yell at me, but he will occassionally roll his eyes. Then I just don't tell him about it for awhile.. I do understand that he is stressed about money.. but honestly in this economy, who isn't?? and that means these great causes are also strapped finacailly speaking.. and I feel that it is best to shop for the best buys on fabric (this lessens my guilt) and do what I feel is right.. I know that if he was a little less stressed he wouldn't react negatively.. and he loves it when I bargain shop..
    Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    You ladies with supportive spouses and partners are indeed fortunate. Mine not only complains about the amount of "stuff" I have but also makes nasty comments about "creating works of beauty for others when I could be doing so many more productive things". Other things for him mean cleaning or gardening which I do in moderation or when it's necessary. He also is very against me making anything for "perfect strangers" which makes it difficult when I am chair of Community Quilts for my local guild. I don't think his attitude will ever change and should I leave this world before him, I'm sure he would just use our son's dump truck and clean out my sewing room. In other matters, he is a nice guy so why the big hate for my stitching has always been a mystery to me.
    One thought: because it takes away from "him" - don't know you or your situation, but that's what strikes me with what you wrote. It's taking away attention he could be getting...
    Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
    My husband is such a great "enabler" :-D He always goes with me, and always asks if I am sure that is all I want. He also carries the bolts for me to the cutting area. Sometimes there are at least 15 :lol: :lol: :lol: We try to support each other in our hobbies. He hunts arrow heads, and I have spent many a day walking around with him, looking down at the ground. :lol: :lol: If he didn't support what i do, I think it would take some of the joy away, so am glad he does. We raised seven chldren. and put all through school, so now it is our turn to have a little fun, within reason of course. :-D
    Mine is the same way...definitely an enabler! He always says "Is that all, don't you want to look some more?" He is always on the lookout for great ways to store more fabric. When I tell him I have enough storage...more storage means I will buy more fabric....he says..."so?". Just bought me a new little Brother machine to use while my Bernina is embroidering and when I reminisced about a neat little kids Singer I had as a kid and was wondering what ever happened to it...he found one on Ebay and sent me an email saying "check our what DH got for DW!" and a link to the little darling. Definitely a keeper!
    Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 AM

Im also one of the lucky ones. My hubby is great about it. He'll help me pick things out, he'll look for fabric and stand in line while I pick out fabric. I can't always drive myself (MS) so he drives me to my LQS and to quilt shows. My sewing room also the computer and of course a TV...he'll hang out with me while I sew. He likes to work on puzzles, so he'll do that while I sew. I love him, he's my best friend. We've been married for 17 years now. :D
    Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 AM

My DH doesn't say anything as long as the bills are paid. He is very proud of the work I do and tells me so, often. In fact, he bought me a machine the Christmas before we were married because I had always made my own clothes on my moms machine. He does a lot of the cooking and cleaning so I can keep sewing. He is glad when I am involved and active because he knows that I am happier when I am.
    Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM

I think one reason he get's so mad is that half the time we're broke and I don't work outside of making quilts for people or looking after people's horses. I have come to feel that I'm just a burden to him. Oh well, so goes life.
    Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM

I will admit that my husband doesn't know exactly how much I spend on my quilt habit but as his second wife I have some big advantages. His first wife was a loud/foul mouthed 12 year old acting shrew. Aside from producing three kids she didn't seem to do much else. She spent her spare time hanging around the local bar and embarassing him. I have been told she even rarely cooked.
    I get up at 6:00 am with my husband everyday and pack his lunch and see that he has breakfast. I cook a hot meal every evening and can mend or alter any garment he gives me. Before we were married I mended about 6 pairs of jeans for him. I am careful not to let him see how much I can spend at a quilt shop but I often brag about the "real" bargins I get with coupons etc. at Joanns. As long as I am home when he gets home he doesn't care what I do with quilting. He is a machinest and has made me quilt rulers out of both metal and plexaglass. As long as I keep my quilt stuff out of the garage he is happy. In the last ten years since my illness he has taken me to two differnt national quilt shows. One in Nashville, TN and the other in Ohio. He managed to entertain himself while I enjoyed the shows.