Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric? >
  • Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

• Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
    My husband is a saint. His first wife just about sank the family with her get rich quick schemes some of which involved sewing, seamstressing etc. You'd think he'd be wary and distrustful of another sewing wife! But he is fantastic. He loves my quilts. Whenever we travel he scouts out the quilting stores for me and makes sure I get shopping! His favorite phrase, "This a great chance to find some fabrics you can't get around home"
    Wow, just how lucky can you get, makes me jealous.
    Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie1
    My husband doesn't complain too much. He just doesn't get involved much. Sometimes when we're out and about he'll stop by the quilt shop and say I'm deserving to go buy something! Of course, I go by myself several times too. Yeah!
    Isn't it nice that we have such understanding husbands, evern though the training of them takes longer on some.
    Old 01-25-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
    My husband is a saint. His first wife just about sank the family with her get rich quick schemes some of which involved sewing, seamstressing etc. You'd think he'd be wary and distrustful of another sewing wife! But he is fantastic. He loves my quilts. Whenever we travel he scouts out the quilting stores for me and makes sure I get shopping! His favorite phrase, "This a great chance to find some fabrics you can't get around home"
    How does one go about trying to get rich quickly by sewing?..lol
    I had an Upholstery business for 20+ yrs. I made a very comfortable living, and when I retired I had a nice nest egg, but rich by no means.
    As I see it, selling a quilt is like selling a classic auto, you will never get back all the money you put into it. I just do it cause its fun.

And my husband loves my work, as a matter of fact he told me togo ahead and order my Ofla mat today. I found a bargain on one. :) 32.00 dollars including shipping and its a 24x36 :)

Sylvia, it's a shame you have to hide your "habit" :) Next time you spend money at the fabric shop, try not to feel guilty.
    Old 01-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by sylvia77
    My husband complains if I want to spend money on fabric, if it's only $5.00! I have to sneak it in so he doesn't get mad. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Not a problem here. My DH buys a lot of items for his hobby, so neither one of us say anything.
    Old 01-25-2010, 03:15 PM

Me Three.
    Originally Posted by blahel
    Originally Posted by barb_quilts
    Nope, I'm the one with the guilty conscience. :)
    me too :roll:
    Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltntime
    Originally Posted by sylvia77
    My husband complains if I want to spend money on fabric, if it's only $5.00! I have to sneak it in so he doesn't get mad. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Not a problem here. My DH buys a lot of items for his hobby, so neither one of us say anything.
    Does he spent money on his hobbies? Then you spend on your fabric, that is your hobby. Keep buying he has two jobs- get mad, get over it. He'll get use to it like mine did.
    Make him a quilt.
    Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 PM

DH doesn't say one word about what I spend on fabric. (But I try not to be too outrageous.) He even takes me to quilt shops when we travel. (Some customers noticed him with me and told him how nice he is to do that.)

He does think I have enough sewing machines, however. (I think there are 6 or 7 in there.) Little does he know that I NEED a treadle. Or he needs to move the TV off the one I have (grandma's) so I can get it cleaned up. But that's another issue.

When we were younger, he used to ask what I paid for things. He stopped when I started asking him about his purchases.
    Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Mine's pretty good. Although he doesn't understand why I "cut up fabric into little pieces just to sew it back together", he supports my love of it. He does the finances so, before I go spend a bunch on fabric, I usually check with him beforehand to make sure the budget can tolerate it. Either that or I save a dollar or two at a time until I have a bit of cash saved up.

I've found, in the 17 years that we've been married, that communication helps us avoid a lot of arguments. I would suggest calmly sitting down with your DH and asking him honestly why your quilting upsets him so much. There may be something bothering him or stressing him out that has nothing at all to do with quilting. Getting things out into the open is a step toward solving them. Hidden wounds tend to fester while those exposed to the light tend to heal.
    Old 01-25-2010, 04:00 PM

I have a wonderful huaband too. He is very supportive, and yes he has his trap shooting and his steelhead fishing along with two boats many rods and reels, and 2 loaders and gun powder and wads which are as expensive as my fabric, and I have something to show for what I have completed with my fabric and he has the pleasure of winning awards for his shooting. I do not complain..I am the one that watches what I spend, not that I have too, he has never complained, but I know when I am out of control and reign myself in. He is in control of the finances and he tells me when the funds are getting low and when the next paycheck is coming in. What I am saying is, we are very supportive of what we do, and we both share in the joy it gives us. I am so glad to have him.
    Old 01-25-2010, 04:01 PM

My husband used to complain big time :!: I was ill for about 2 years and then our daughter and family moved in for 1 year and I didn't do any quilting. Since then, I've redone my sewing room and I'm slowly getting back to it. I have a lot of material so what I'm trying to do now is use up what I have and buy material for a specific project. (the key word is "trying") My OA pension has started so between that and the fact that he's so glad I'm doing something now, there's very little complaining.