Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric? >
  • Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

• Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
    Power Poster

sylvia77, if you feel like a burden in your marriage then you have much bigger issues then spending a few dollars on fabric. It's time to get serious about your marriage and your life.
    Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM

My husband is wonderful about me buying fabric. I don't smoke and rarely drink so I can have one true vice.........fabric! He had his hobbies, too like his car and ocasional trips to Omaha for a "football" weekend with his brother. He suports me in what ever I do and is proud of what I can do with my sewing. He is my partner...not my keeper or my boss. He knows that I will use what I buy.........eventually.
    Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 PM

Honestly i have to say that PatriceJ said all i'm with her a 100% i just don't understand someone feeling this way.Mine hubby is with me all the way i have 3 machines electic ones and one treadle well i guess what i'm saying is he is my Honey not my Daddy but then my Dad wouldn't say such sorry
    Old 01-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Mine would like me to think he gets mad...but I do buy more when he's with me because I buy what HE likes in addition to what I like! My usual trips are $30-50. Last time he was with me, it was $175! I had him assemble the kit he wanted me to buy. He did pretty good! (I just need to mess with the borders to make it bigger.)

I only show off what I buy at the LQS when he know's I'm going there. I do make a few lunchtime trips per month. He doesn't need to know everything!

He always gives me the evil eye when the UPS truck comes anywhere near the house...LOL But I've been very good since Christmas!
    Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 PM
    Power Poster

We moved from: What do you plan to use that for? to Oh, you can buy less than a yard? and have landed at: "Honey, if you like it, buy it. Remember, one can never have too much fabric."
    Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 PM

My hubby never says anything, but he does give me that cute little smile & roll of his eyes that says "I ain't even gonna ask." But if I were to compare my fabric habbit to his smoke'n habbit, I bet he spends more! So no guilt here, nope, no, no sir lolol
    Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 PM

No, but neither do I complain when he gets a new headers, carbs, valve covers, etc for his hot rod! Actually, we get in the hotrod in the summer & drive to quilt shops!! I have the current copy of Quilters Travel Companion & 'don't leave home without it!!'
    Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Doods
    DH doesn't say one word about what I spend on fabric. (But I try not to be too outrageous.) He even takes me to quilt shops when we travel. (Some customers noticed him with me and told him how nice he is to do that.)

He does think I have enough sewing machines, however. (I think there are 6 or 7 in there.) Little does he know that I NEED a treadle. Or he needs to move the TV off the one I have (grandma's) so I can get it cleaned up. But that's another issue.

When we were younger, he used to ask what I paid for things. He stopped when I started asking him about his purchases.
    That's a good one; one sure way for them to stop asking.
    Old 01-25-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Polly C
    No, but neither do I complain when he gets a new headers, carbs, valve covers, etc for his hot rod! Actually, we get in the hotrod in the summer & drive to quilt shops!! I have the current copy of Quilters Travel Companion & 'don't leave home without it!!'
    That is very nice, togetherness, mine won't go with me anywhere, but as long as he lets me go, it's o.k.
    Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Hi Sylvia. Maybe if you calmly & pleasantly sat down and just talked to your DH & asked him why it upsets him so, he would open up and maybe find that it isn't really about you buying fabric at all. Explain that you have to have something creative in your life other than housework & gardening. And that you can make nice gifts. After all, it is better than you being out in bars. I am very fortunate in that my DH could care less how much I spend or how much fabric I buy. It makes me happy and keeps me at home. Happy wife...Happy life.