Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does clipping the corners before washing really work? >
  • Does clipping the corners before washing really work?

• Does clipping the corners before washing really work?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

It's never worked for me.
    Old 09-26-2010, 07:33 AM

I think one thing we are over-looking is what type of washer you have. Those with the old style agitator or top loading, will experience more strings without a doubt. This style machine is much harder on your fabrics, clothes, etc. than a front loader.

I currently have a front loading which is way more gentle on the fabrics and do not experience this problem. I have found the cheaper fabrics will fray more or the more open weave fabrics. Food for thought.
    Old 09-26-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnmom
    EasyPeezy, the sad thing is I do have a serger. I have finally taken it out of the box after 3 years of being intimidated by it and it has not wanted to work. The tech at the fabric store said an easy fix might be to change thread. I did that today and it serged beautifully on a scrap. I got out my new fabric and it doesn't work. Can't tell if it's the needle or one of the loopers and I even put different colors of thread to hopfully help in determining the problem. None of the stitches hold in the fabric and the thread winds up a big mess so off to the shop it goes Monday if I can't figure something out tomorrow. But I resorted to the trusty zigzag on my sewing machine. Good way to use up some weird colors of thread my mom passed on to me.
    The magic may be in how you thread the machine. I do believe the 'correct' way to thread a serger is top looper, bottom looper then needles. This way the looper threads interlock correctly on the edge of the fabric. I have one, but I pay attention where the loopers are when I thread them so don't have to worry about it with my own, just when I thread others. Good luck and keep at it, they are marvelous machines when you get over the fear factor.
    Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 PM

I handwash small pieces and scraps, but for yardages handwashing is not for me. Into the washer.