Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does this happen to anyone else?? >
  • Does this happen to anyone else??

• Does this happen to anyone else??

Old 06-15-2011, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnana1
    Originally Posted by buddy'smom
    When I quilt and do it for any length of time my back is killing me, I get up and walk, take brakes, I do alot of PP so I'm always back & forth to the ironing board. And lots of times it's my side as well??
    Thanks for this post. Think a lot of the replies will offer help to a lot of us. :-)
    Well I was thinking, I couldn'd be the only one, it has taken a toll on my back, but I'm gonna try some things posted on the board and see how it goes.
    Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 AM

I have arthritis of the spine and have to take frequent breaks. My back goes into tiny spasms and I know it is time to go lay down for a few minutes, just to take the strain off. I also have a bad hip so can't sit too long on one place. I go up and down the basement stairs a lot and that seems to help too.
    Old 06-15-2011, 04:50 AM

I combine sewing with housework. I'll sew a bit, then go start a load of laundry. Sew a bit more, then put away the clean dishes. Sew a bit more, move the laundry into the dryer. That way, I get up and move around a couple times an hour to keep all my moving parts happy, I get more housework done than I normally would, and my reward for each task is more sewing. :-D

I usually set up landmarks as my cue for housework. A stack of blocks to assemble, 3 moves of my quilting frame, or when I'm knitting, a sock heel or a lace repeat. It's too easy for me to say "just five more minutes" when I'm watching a clock, because those five minutes will inevitably become two hours. :roll:
    Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 AM

Late last year I ended up in Dr's surgery with (calcified) Tendonitis of my left shoulder!! After quilting the hard way on 4 quilts. I did have lots of breaks etc. but it was still intense!!
    Take Care and rest OFTEN!
    Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 AM
    Power Poster

This is something new to me- one of my sons works in an office and stands at his desk all day. He said it's really good for you. Hmmm........... doesn't sound like it to me LOL
    But he's a young one :D
    Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    This is something new to me- one of my sons works in an office and stands at his desk all day. He said it's really good for you. Hmmm........... doesn't sound like it to me LOL
    But he's a young one :D
    Well there's no way I could stand all day, have had surgery on both knee's and that would not work for me. As you say, " he's young""
    Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 AM

oh heck yes....I can't sit for too long or the ole arthritic hip will remind me big time when I DO get up...

have to walk around....bend....stretch...and sometimes (gulp), do a little housecleaning

Ah to have the body of a fit 20 yr old again!
    Old 06-15-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by 19angel52
    oh heck yes....I can't sit for too long or the ole arthritic hip will remind me big time when I DO get up...

have to walk around....bend....stretch...and sometimes (gulp), do a little housecleaning

Ah to have the body of a fit 20 yr old again!
    Oh wouldn't that be great. I feel like 90 sometimes. My body dosn't want to move but like you say housework needs to be done as well as th wash, cooking, and so on.
    Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 AM

I don't need to sew, sit, or anything else. I have Fibromialga and am in the advanced stage. No matter what I do, I hurt. I do a lot of walking which helps the combination of Fibro and Ostheo a lot. So--to make a long story shorter, I sew as long as the bod will allow.
    Old 06-15-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by buddy'smom
    When I quilt and do it for any length of time my back is killing me, I get up and walk, take brakes, I do alot of PP so I'm always back & forth to the ironing board. And lots of times it's my side as well??
    I have arthritis in my low back which in turn messes with my sciatic nerve. After I sit just so long on a hard chair I have to go sit and read a bit so I relax my back. This is pretty much my routine with anything now. I get things done, it just takes me twice as long. but I am thankful that I am still able to do that much.