Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does this machine exist? >
  • Does this machine exist?

• Does this machine exist?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:52 AM

Juki 98Q for me! Everything you mentioned but the beep for the bobbin running out- that is the sound you make when you realize it about 6 inches down the seam. :)

It is a workhorse! I used it this morning to take in my jeans. Darn stretch denim- they stretch and I don't own a belt. Next time I buy a pair of jeans I will go down 1 size. Didn't have to adjust anything from the table runner I was working on yesterday. Went back to the table runner- didn't have to adjust a thing again.

Love my Juki!
    Old 12-19-2010, 10:56 AM

I'd certainly look at Vikings, maybe a used one. They have anumber of models with all the things you listed. They have something better than a knee-lift. It is automatic--when you have it in the needle-down mode, it automatically lifts the foot so you can move the fabric. I'm in love with my viking, and Bernina lover won't be disappointed! :thumbup:
    Old 12-19-2010, 11:21 AM

I think if you look at a Bernina dealer they may have the a special on one of the less expensive 220's. I think I received an e-mail fom my dealer about the sale. I know they have just a limited number of whatever the model was. Sorry I can't find my newsletter from the Presser Foot in Ft. Collins, Co. But maybe if you would just look you would get a Bernina for alot less then the $1000 price.
    Old 12-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Juki makes a great machine under $1000, knee lift, thread cutter, straight stitch.
    Old 12-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Check out ebay for the juki QL98 it has a wide throat, and straight stitches only. I love mine!!
    Yes, this is a great machine.
    Old 12-19-2010, 02:23 PM

The Juki 98Q sounds right, the only thing it does not have is the low bobbin indicator. I bought it online, came with all the feet including a walking foot, bobbins, needles a $50.00 gift certificate, extension table, cover, free shipping and no tax for $899.00. I think it was sewingmachinesplus. It is great and can also be put on a frame.
    Old 12-19-2010, 03:08 PM
    Power Poster

I would go to a dealer too, and just test out a bunch, see what you like!
    Old 12-19-2010, 03:19 PM

I have the Pfaff Hobby 1200 GrandQuilter. It has all of the features you asked for except the low bobbin. I believe you would like it if you gave it a test drive.
    Old 12-19-2010, 03:30 PM

One of the things about the Juki that I think is maybe NOT true for the others mentioned in this thread is that is is an all metal machine- no plastic interior parts, no sealed parts. You almost cannot destroy it unless you have a sledgehammer. AS long as you oil it, she will run her little heart out. No computer to fry, and no spendy repairs. I've never had a machine that told me when the bobbin is low. I'm sure I would love it, but I'd never trade the Juki. Her stitches are beautiful and straight and perfect for FMQ.
    Old 12-19-2010, 04:00 PM

bernina's are great..they have just come out with the 300 series..which means they are not going to have any more 200 seroes..so i would keep my eyes open for a sale on the 200's or perhaps a trade in..the last 300 is just under a thousand dollars but certainly worth it..plus you can get service too..dont waste your money on a singer..however if you dont want to spend that much..buy a kenmore between 300 and 600 hundred,,but you may not be able to get service or parts..good luck and let us know what you get