Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does polyester batting really "beard" that much? >
  • Does polyester batting really "beard" that much?

• Does polyester batting really "beard" that much?

Old 09-26-2014, 04:28 PM

I have a 10 year old sampler quilt that the Amish handquilted for me. They insisted on using their own batting. It has bearded to the extent that I have to use a sweater fuzz buster on it to get rid of the pilling. Not nice. Maybe those batts are better now. I would hope so.
    Old 09-26-2014, 06:11 PM

I too have never had any problems with bearding with the poly battings. I love it for the softness and the loft. My mom only used the poly battings and I don't remember her have the problem either. She only did hand quilting.
    Old 09-27-2014, 03:16 AM

If the quilt is going to be long arm quilted, sometimes the poly batting can cause shredding of the thread.
    Old 09-27-2014, 10:17 AM

If you do not use a better quality poly batting it will beard and also pulls apart with your finger while you are getting the quilt together. I have also found if you do not use a good sharp machine needle all batting will beard.
    Old 09-27-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
    My first quilt used polyester batting - it bearded like crazy, putting white pills all over the top. I used cotton for years because of that.

Then I used Mountain Mist Lite. It's thin, but no bearding. I've also been very happy with Hobbs Polydown. It's a little thicker so it defines the stitching better, and it doesn't beard either. If you're hand quilting I'd recommend either product.

Janet
    I have been using Hobbs 80/20 just because it's made & grown in Texas but with my latest quilt I am having a hard time with the quilt up to 3 1/2" apart, for this reason I need to look for something that wont beard with quilting farther apart. Would the Hobbs Polydown work better or is the distance the same as the 80/20?
    Old 09-27-2014, 09:05 PM

Thank you all for all your excellent advice as usual, my next quilt will be going to our Middle daughter who now lives in Bulgaria, very cold winters there. I want to switch to using Polyester batting after reading all reviews but will the Poly batting be warm enough for them or should I try a cotton or wool batting? It is also important to be as to how far apart the quilting can be on the cotton or poly vs. the 80/20 I was using?
    Old 09-27-2014, 11:36 PM
    Power Poster

I use just about anything I can get at a reasonable price. I have never had any bearding and my quilts get used/washed to death.
    Old 09-28-2014, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Thank you all for all your excellent advice as usual, my next quilt will be going to our Middle daughter who now lives in Bulgaria, very cold winters there. I want to switch to using Polyester batting after reading all reviews but will the Poly batting be warm enough for them or should I try a cotton or wool batting? It is also important to be as to how far apart the quilting can be on the cotton or poly vs. the 80/20 I was using?
    I believe that polyester batting is actually warmer than cotton -- it is different, and does not quilt closely (heavily) like cotton, but it is soft and conforms to the body. I make all my lap quilts with low loft polyester.
    Old 09-28-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by coopah
    I have a 10 year old sampler quilt that the Amish handquilted for me. They insisted on using their own batting. It has bearded to the extent that I have to use a sweater fuzz buster on it to get rid of the pilling. Not nice. Maybe those batts are better now. I would hope so.
    Do you think the bearding could be related to the treads-per-inch of the backing? I don't know, just wondering.
    Old 09-29-2014, 03:44 AM

This particular quilt beards through the top. The cottons used were all good quality, even the backing. It was a quilt to commemorate my husband's Navy career and it's disheartening to have it beard. We use it daily and just figure we'll use another blanket under it when the batt is gone.