Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does the thread really matter? >
  • Does the thread really matter?

• Does the thread really matter?

Old 11-30-2013, 04:39 PM
    ro
    Banned

i also use a better thread. if you have lint around the needs, chances are its cheap thread and can gonk up your machine. i dont need a hunder dollar repair bill for thread that cost a dollar.
    Old 11-30-2013, 04:56 PM

I have to use a larger eye needle to FMQ regardless of what thread I use.
    Old 11-30-2013, 05:10 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
    The thread may not be strong enough to handle free-motion. I personally would not use that thread in my Bernina simply because cheap thread tends to be linty, and I'd like to keep my machine as lint-free as possible. What exactly is on the thread spool in terms of information? I went to the Walmart site online, but they have many different threads there; I didn't see any that were $1/spool.
    I also own a Bernina but I use Mettler silk wrapped thread. JAF is now carrying it and I stocked up when thread was 50% off. Unfortunately, they have limited color selection. Can you search on Google to see if there is any website that might be able to help you get a manual for your machine. Is there a JAF near you with a sewing machine dealer in the store???? I wouldn't use any cheap thread on your machine. Maybe try the Coats and Clark cotton that is also sold at Walmart??? Good Luck !!
    Old 11-30-2013, 05:25 PM

My machine won't take that kind of thread. I like Mettler or Gutterman. I think that if I buy good fabric, I should buy good thread too.
    Old 11-30-2013, 05:34 PM
    Power Poster

The price should alert you the thread is the lowest quality. Be sure your needle is the right size for the thread. The best website for thread and needle education is http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/ I would start with thread and needles from Superior.
    Old 11-30-2013, 06:58 PM

I had a problem with what you refer to "thread stripping" and breaking on my Singer machine. Turns out that the thread was catching on the slit in the spool (used to keep thread from un-winding when not in use) and would tighten up and then break while I was sewing. I used a nail file and "removed" that slit from the spool and didn't have any more problems. Might be worth a try for you.
    Old 11-30-2013, 10:06 PM

That's happened to me, too, but I just turned the spool over so that the notch in the spool was on the bottom of the thread stand. That way, the thread is never impeded by the spool notch.
    Old 11-30-2013, 11:08 PM

i feel like "never cheap out on thread" is good advice. gutermann poly is just a little bit more expensive and will save you a tonne of frustration. plus, your work deserves it.

aileen
    Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 PM

Definitely that notch on the spool might have something to do with it, but I had a problem when I FMQ as well. I have to use "better thread" than when I piece or it breaks. And sometimes often. The cheaper thread is fine when piecing.

I think I put more strain on the thread when I FMQ. When I changed to using some extra embroidery thread in the colors I wanted (good quality poly, like Madeira), then I had not one instance of breakage. But when I used my other purple thread when doing the FMQ, it broke regularly. I changed nothing but the thread and it made a world of difference.
    Old 12-01-2013, 01:13 AM

Nine times out of ten most problems come back to 'needle and thread' - the very basics of sewing, lol. If your needle is too small this will likely cause fraying and as has already been mentioned, the quality of your thread may be an issue - invariably you do get what you pay for. You could try a 90/14 Quilting needle and different thread.

There was post some weeks back where there was a link to a blog where someone had done a price comparison and Aurifil actually worked out cheaper than many other well-known brands.

However, it could be your tension too. You could try loosening your top tension and if you can set your stitch length to '0', instead of .8 then you could try that too (although the jury's out on whether this will make a difference).

Good luck