Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does the thread really matter? >
  • Does the thread really matter?

• Does the thread really matter?

Old 12-02-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
    I had a problem with what you refer to "thread stripping" and breaking on my Singer machine. Turns out that the thread was catching on the slit in the spool (used to keep thread from un-winding when not in use) and would tighten up and then break while I was sewing. I used a nail file and "removed" that slit from the spool and didn't have any more problems. Might be worth a try for you.

...or just turn the spool so that slit is in the bottom of the spool. FM quilting is a process that requires the correct tension, speed and the guiding of the fabric in sync with the needle asking that stitch. If you go too fast and that stitch is not complete your thread will break.....be it expensive or cheap........it has to be a smooth action between human and machine... Start out slow and work steady.....will not happen first time out.
    Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 PM

Cminor,
    That is the worst thread you could buy. I like Gutterman and Aurifil threads, they are much better.
    Sharon
    Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM

I was very happy to read about your problem, because I have the same machine which I bought around October, well, guess what I began to have the same problems to the point that I called Singer machine company many times, letting them know what was going on, depending on who gets your call, you can get several answers which might not help, until finally I got my answers that helped me. ok, here we go: the bobbins you should get is 15 class bobbins, 14 size needles, and most important is the thread you use; Guterman, it is a little expensive but I have not found it cheaper. Tip: Read machine instructions over and over and over especially how to thread the machine on pages 16 and 17, read and practice it many times, if you need more answers call Singer directly 1-800-401-8151 or 1-760-739-8222. or call me at; I would like for us to get in touch but I don't know if we are allowed to give out our phone numbers. Hope this information help you.

Last edited by mimigirl; 01-11-2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: forgot to put needles
    Old 01-12-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mimigirl
    ok, here we go: the bobbins you should get is 15 class bobbins, 14 size needles, and most important is the thread you use; Guterman, it is a little expensive but I have not found it cheaper.
    I wouldn't recommend Gutermann thread. I suppose if the only choices I have were that or dollar store thread, I would pick it, but it's linty, lumpy and it's expensive. More expensive by far than Aurifil.

I suspect there are a few reasons that Singer may have recommended it:
    • It's a recognizable name.
    • It's easily available. Walmart carries it.
    • They don't know any better about the quality. It seems it used to be better than it is now. Same thing with Mettler. I have old spools here that are lovely, and new stuff that looks like a furry stuffed animal.
    From previously in the thread:

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    That might have been my blog: http://www.archaicarcane.com/common-...ost-of-thread/

The fact is that Gutermann and Mettler are some of the most expensive threads you can buy, and not the highest quality.
    Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    Nine times out of ten most problems come back to 'needle and thread' - the very basics of sewing, lol. If your needle is too small this will likely cause fraying and as has already been mentioned, the quality of your thread may be an issue - invariably you do get what you pay for. You could try a 90/14 Quilting needle and different thread.

There was post some weeks back where there was a link to a blog where someone had done a price comparison and Aurifil actually worked out cheaper than many other well-known brands.

However, it could be your tension too. You could try loosening your top tension and if you can set your stitch length to '0', instead of .8 then you could try that too (although the jury's out on whether this will make a difference).

Good luck
    The tension issue is one I would address. I always practice and adjust tension, no matter the thread used.