Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does your DH help you? >
  • Does your DH help you?

• Does your DH help you?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Mine helps me pick out what pattern to use, goes to Paducah and des Moines shows and carries everything. He likes to help shop for stuff. BUT I wouldn't be able to let anyone cut for me. I am waAyyy to picky to trust him. Lol. He's not very good with measuring.
    Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    No that would mean a different kind of marriage. So no husband to help. Looking for a newer wife to help out tho.
    Stuart you are sew funny :lol: :lol: :lol: want me to help you look for a "newer wife"? You know your pal here is ALWAYS willing to help you out :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 AM

Not with cutting or sewing, but he made me a great design board & ironing surface, helps me with colors/fabric choices, and with pattern drafting & figuring out geometry/math type stuff.

But best of all: HE NEVER COMPLAINS THAT I SEW TOO MUCH and only teases me about the amount of fabric I have and always takes me to quilt shops when we vacation. I'm keeping him!
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM

My DH is my biggest fan............in all I do.He is willing to help me at any given time with anything I want to do. But he does not sew or quilt. He does help me shop for fabric and has in the past bought fabric for me. So I think I'll keep him.....After 45 years I 'd have to say he's spoiled me a well as me spoiling him!
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 AM

My hubby is very handy - he helps build tables, ironing boards - he put together my whole longarm system - He encourages my quilting - tells me to stop by the quilt store when I am in town - gives me all the money I want to spend and doesn't care if I spend it all on fabric. He praises all my completed projects - sometimes he makes his own dinner so I can keep on sewing - We have been married for 25 yrs and he gets better every year.
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Mine will help me pin the large ones because I usually take them to the clubhouse where I can push tables together. Several years ago for Christmas he put down laminate flooring and painted my sewing room. That was truly an effort of love because everything had to come out of it before he started! He is going with me to a quilt show this week. I'll decide about that later! :roll:
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Mine helps me with the sandwiching and spray basting. He has gotten so good at it, I can sit back and watch if I wanted!
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 AM

DH is amazing! He helps me pick out fabric and do the quilt layout. I can usually get him to hold the ruler while I cut. Such a big help when cutting lots of strips. When I'm chain piecing, I can sometimes get him to cut and stack the pieces as they come out. For most of my quilts, I try to randomize the layout. So I'll give him a pile of blocks and say "4 by 5, let me know when you're done" and he'll do the layout, which I usually agonize over. He also provides encouragement for me to finish UFOs, which is important too.
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 AM
    Power Poster

Yep, honey has his own comfy visitor chair in my sewing room where he lends the best moral support. He also helps me make decisions when I'm stuck or need color advice.
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 AM

My DH has come a long way from the man I first met who thought a quilt was a 'blanket.' There was a time when my talk about quilts likely bored him but he has always been kind and listened anyway. He has come to appreciate the work and time involved and the beauty in quilts. I ask his thoughts and opinions which makes him involved and more interestd in the process and turn out. I'm with the ladies who said they won't let their DH's handle sharp instrments LOL! :) But really if he expressed interest I would certainly work with him - that is not likely to happen.

Oh, I forgot to mention he cooks too :) :) :thumbup: