Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does your LQS have a public sewing room? >
  • Does your LQS have a public sewing room?

• Does your LQS have a public sewing room?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM

Mine does, I don't know if they charge since it brings in business.
    Old 11-17-2013, 06:47 PM

no. no local quilt shop. Our one close one was distroyed in the tornado and the others are not that close... boo hoo
    Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 PM

I've organized "A ladies Day Out" a gathering place for ladies to socialize and create at our local community center. As long as there are no fees or dues charged and anyone can join there is no rent. I only set two rules - no kids (for safety and sanity) and clean up your own mess. so far we have 18 women, quilters, fashion sewing, knitting and crocheting, a jewelry maker, embroidery and cross stitchers. I have heard a local church has a similar gathering.
    Old 11-18-2013, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by toverly
    Our Guild doesn't have anything to do with Quilting Bees, and there seems to be a need for new quilters and sewers to start meeting with a smaller group. Scrapbook stores do this for scrappers. I was thinking of approaching our LQS to find out if they would let others "sew" in their classroom for a fee. Does your LQS let you come in and sew? Just wondering.
    One of my LQSs does have open sew time for a flat fee ($5, I think). They also have quit camps on Mondays (normally the shop is closed). For a minimum of 6 quilters, you can rent the space from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. with a dish to pass for lunch and dinner for $10 per quilter or owner will provide lunch and dinner for $20 a quilter. I've done both the open sew and the quilt camp and they've been most enjoyable.
    Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 AM

A LQS I frequent does have open sew on Wednesdays from 1-3 where customers can come in and sew and even have free consultation with the shop owner. I've gone a couple of times…beneficial for me and a did spend some $$$ in return.
    Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 AM

My LQS not only has a sewing room, they also allow our sewing club (not all quilters) to meet there once a month free of charge. She also offers our group discounts on classes. It is certainly a better set up than we had at the local library where we paid $20 per month for the use of their meeting room for 2 hours a month. Located in Lancaster County, PA....almost heaven for quilters.
    Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 AM

My group used our church fellowship center once a week for a couple of years. They were very willing to allow us to
    use it. We always left it just as we found it...no extra work for the janitor.
    Old 11-18-2013, 06:09 AM

My LQS allows us to meet once a week for $20 per month each. The convenience of meeting in a shop makes it worth the cost.
    Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 AM

Quilt shops in area here allow meetings for free and even give us a 15% discount on fabric when bought after meetings. I think they have found it works well for all.
    Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 AM

My LQS has a classroom. She lets people use it. Our local Quilts of Valor people meet there. Recently we started a UFO club and we meet once a month. It is so nice to get to sew with other quilters and get feedback and help and just plain fellowship with each other.