Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Domestic Sewing Machine  (1959) >
  • Domestic Sewing Machine (1959)

• Domestic Sewing Machine (1959)

Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 AM

When we were first married , My DH baught me a a new Domestic sewing machine. After about 25 yrs. I got rid of it cuz I wanted a fancier machine. Now that I'm into quilting, I often think about it. It was a real work horse. Are any of these around any more?
    Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 AM

I bought my first machine, a Singer FashionMate, in 1971, right before DH and I married. I still have it and it still works.
    Old 03-10-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
    When we were first married , My DH baught me a a new Domestic sewing machine. After about 25 yrs. I got rid of it cuz I wanted a fancier machine. Now that I'm into quilting, I often think about it. It was a real work horse. Are any of these around any more?
    Google it,there is alot of info on them
    Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 AM

I have my Mom's Singer 306 W ( circa 1950's), it really is a work horse. The amount of hours that have been put on that machine , even prior to me getting was HUGE. My mom made all our clothes, coats, pinch pleat drapes etc. I think when I got the machine I also got a bit of her sewing skills.
    Its amazing this older work horses can be gotten for $25 - $75 Dollars at garage sales , goodwill. My local dealer (sew/vac) just about gives them away when they come in on trade.
    Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 AM

in the area where i live the are alot of amish people and the is a shop where he charges big bucks for them cause the amish need the ones that are belt driven. my friend took one in to him and he only whanted to give her a little bit for it but he would hav e sold it for alot more than double what he was going to give her.
    Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 AM

Yep!! I still have the one my mother bought!! That is the machine that I learned to sew on, but I think mine might be a tab bit older. Great machine!!
    Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 AM

Yes, they are still around! You can find them at garage sales, thrift stores, Craigslist and sometimes on Freecycle.
    Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM

Last fall I bought a Domestic (1943) at a Church sale for $20.00. Came with all the attachments and has a knee lift. (That will take some getting use to) I haven't had a chance to try it out yet because the cabinet needs to be re-finished. My Dad came over while I was at work and took the machine out and took off with the cabinet to re-do it. Didn't even give me a chance to check it out. It sure is pretty. Looks like it was hardly used and is pretty clean. :thumbup: Weighs a ton.

A couple months ago Dad picked me up a Montgomery Ward machine. $10.00. Looks alot like the other one. Also looks like it was hardly used. Problem is I can find no info out on this machine at all. I need a bobbin case, power cord, foot pedal and manuel. I know it was made by the National Sewing Co. but that's all I have. I can't get any hits using the serial number. It will be a real shame if I can never get this one going. I would hate to scrap it. :thumbdown: The thing I like about these 2 machines is they are so basic and I'm sure they would sew wonderfully.
    Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
    I just bought one today. The guarantee was still in the drawer. It was Nov. 17, 1949. Don't know anything about them though but it has quite a few different feet & accessories.