Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To Donate or not to Donate >
  • To Donate or not to Donate

• To Donate or not to Donate

Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 AM

I have not read all of these replies but I can imagine the most have the same sentiment. My thought is:

What a shame so many people out there equate "home made" with "hand made" or "valueless". Nope do not donate your quilts unless it is to an organization that has demonstrated that they know the value of such items. We have a menonite school here that has a yearly auction. They always have and value quilts.
    Old 04-22-2010, 06:24 AM

My favorite item to make is hand embroidered baby quilts. I'm often asked what I would take for it, and I tell them I only give them away because no one would pay what they are worth. By giving them to someone, I don't get disappointed.

I recently turned 2 of my fabric bowls I make into gift baskets and put into silent auctions. They brought less than the bowl alone was worth.

I find it easier to just donate money and give away my things when I want.
    Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 AM

All of you make me feel very selfish. I don't donate many quilts and when I do it is usually with fabric that has been given to me for that specific project. Baby quilts from panels, for instance. I don't mind donating my time because this is what I like to do and the quilts I make I make because I want to try the pattern, I have someone in mind, or I want to keep it for myself. I make a lot of table runners from scraps to give away.
    Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 AM

Is there a photo of your fabric bowl? I am curious to see what you make. I am loaded w scraps that do longer interest me for quilt design. Or maybe I'll just send them to you!

Dotty in NYC/UWS
    Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary

I'm struggling with my ego and the practicality of putting the work and money into a quilt that they are willing to let go for $30. I'd be ahead to just give them the money.
    So, next year, donate or not to donate?
    Donations for raffles seem to work better, if they're done well.
    A friend in CT with some other quilters made a beautiful Queen for their Parish.
    The Church sent a book of chances to every member. Raised $800.
    Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 AM

I agree donating sometimes doesnt get you the satisfaction you deserve from it. But, ya know it's a matter of the heart. If your heart is to donate then it should not matter what the cost is. I made a K/Q size quilt a few year ago for out mission team to raffle. We sold ticket for 10 each. My husband even made a quilt rack that cost him about $60 to make. We sold 70 tickest and made $700 from it. Raffles seem to work in the right enviroment. I will be make two next time. Twin size, one for a girl and one for a boy. I figure parents will really go for this.
    Old 04-22-2010, 08:30 AM

That makes me sad that you feel your quilt you made for your grandson will be discarded. I am blessed to have a daughter who treasurers the hand made personal blankets, quilts, Christmas stockings, etc. that have been made by me and other family members fodr her children. The ones the kids won't turn loose of she leaves out, but when they start getting tattered she packs them away so they can have them when they are adults. Maybe you could suggest that when the blanket is outgrown or no longer being loved you can have it back. Then you can pack it away for the future. There will come a time when your family will long for a item that you made, even if they don't realize it now.
    Originally Posted by delusional
    I just finished my first quilt. Did I ever learn a lesson on cost of material, time, effort and love. I made it for my 9 year grandson for his birthday. I am so sorry in one way because it will never be appreciated & discared at some point. I only hope someone gets it that loves it. I also make cakes for birthday's. I just made my last. People don't understand. So raffle or donate it is!! I feel with you as you see you are not alone. Love to fellow quilter.
    Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 AM

On the other side, I made some hand embellished tee shirts for my best friend's first grandaughter. They all expect me to keep producing kiddie couture. Apparently every effort is
    a big event at day care and I have become a beloved auntie. Now that baby is two and I must say it is great to be appreciated. She'll get a special quilt for Christmas. I'm collecting the squares!
    Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 AM

I hate to admit it but you better investigate a bit before donating . Then you will know what it the best way for you to help. Like you said obviously the $30. would have been better all around. So often folks dont realize what goes into a quilt!!
    Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 AM

I hate to admit it but you better investigate a bit before donating . Then you will know what is the best way for you to help. Like you said obviously the $30. would have been better all around. So often folks dont realize what goes into a quilt!!