Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To Donate or not to Donate >
  • To Donate or not to Donate

• To Donate or not to Donate

Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by betlinsmom
    I hate to admit it but you better investigate a bit before donating . Then you will know what is the best way for you to help. Like you said obviously the $30. would have been better all around. So often folks dont realize what goes into a quilt!!
    Sure would have been easier! and less costly for the maker!
    Old 04-22-2010, 02:19 PM

My dh & i were married on block island ri. the first year we went there, the ladies guild of one of the churches on the island, (i forgot which one) was sitting in front of star dept store with a quilt made up of squares depicting different places ie southeast lighthouse, harbor church, the ferry itself, from the island. i bought 15 tickets.. and i have every year since that they have been available..

the lady i spoke with told me they have it out for 5-6 weekends....it being a tourist area, i imagine they make a great return on thier investment...

now if i could only get the right ticket!!
    Old 04-22-2010, 03:52 PM

I donated a quilt one year, I think it sold for $100. One of the women that had been bidding came up said she didn't want to pay that much. How much would I make one for her. I told her $200 with her suppling the fabric. Needless to say I'm still waiting on the fabric.
    Old 04-22-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
    I donated a quilt one year, I think it sold for $100. One of the women that had been bidding came up said she didn't want to pay that much. How much would I make one for her. I told her $200 with her suppling the fabric. Needless to say I'm still waiting on the fabric.
    HAHA! Excellent!
    Old 04-22-2010, 05:14 PM

OMG,I have never even countenanced selling my quilts or donating them to any organisation. Anything that I finish has taken soooo long and is such a magnus opus (to me, that is) that no money would buy it nor donation worth it.

The only quilt I have ever given away was to my mother and I figure that's a bit different. But even that was touch and go: she was 85 when she got it. However, that was a couple of years ago and she still has it in pride of place in her home.

What I can safely predict is that all my quilts will probably finish up as horse blankets, later on, when our only Little Darling (who has zip interest in quilting) inherits them all. Must see what I can do about that. When I'm 85 some charity store might get lucky.
    Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Ohhhh!!! I LOVE Your Quilts!!! Nope I wouldn't donate ,I would'nt like it either.
    Old 04-22-2010, 07:34 PM

I have donated crocheted laprobes (42"x54") and they used them in a silent auction. Two lap robes.....one had a $15.00 bid and the other $18.00. The yarn alone cost me that. Now, I just give a monetary donation. I donate my laprobes to the VA center for the veterans which gives me more satisfaction than making a few dollars.
    Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 PM

Good for you!
    Giving is getting.
    I learned about charity in my days of teaching school where one teacher spent as much timer teaching charity as she did teaching 7th and 8th grade Spanish. The kids learned to care
    and so did the faculty!!
    Old 04-22-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
    Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    I just received an update from the coordinator of the event. This quilt went for $255 and a smaller scrappy quilt went for $85.

It didn't end up so bad but I stil question whether to do it again next year.
    At least the people bidding knew that it was worth more than $30. I have learned in life, that once you give something away for any reason, you just have to let it go. It's hard, but much less painful than the bad feelings.
    This is so true...
    Old 04-23-2010, 01:25 AM
    Banned

I would not donate another one, they would have done better to raffle the quilt off. Penny