Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • "Donations" of quilting/sewing items - - - >
  • "Donations" of quilting/sewing items - - -

• "Donations" of quilting/sewing items - - -

Old 06-08-2015, 01:22 AM

I'm a #1. Most of the time I will be able to use at least half of the gift. I've been getting ready for my retirement from working outside of the home (due to my husbands health, I'll have to quit working to take care of him), so my stash is going to be my pin money. I can do alterations still at home and I will still be able to help out with the kids customs and craft projects (all items will be coming from my stash). I also can make a little money selling at a couple of craft fairs each year. So I take what is offered, knowing I must make the best choices I am able (ie:using that 60's and 70's polyesters that never die - they can be used as batting for quilts that are needed for warmth when charity quilting, kids prints in flannels - make great pillow slips and pj's for foster kids). When things are given to me I still try to pay it forward, by making charity items and by passing along what I am unable to use. Never any regrets.
    Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
    I always thank them very much for thinking of me, and then I tell them that I will look at all of it, keep what I think I can use, and donate the rest to my Project Linus group, so that other ladies can also make use of it all for doing kids quilts. That always seems to satisfy the giver, knowing that the items will go to a good use.
    Excellent way to handle this.
    sandy
    Old 06-08-2015, 03:14 AM

I sort it out at home. Anything I don't want can go to beginners(ie children) or charity.
    Old 06-08-2015, 03:49 AM
    Power Poster

I ALWAYS gratefully accept and then I pass on the other items I will never use to either my church group of quilters or my friends at the senior quilting group. There is ALWAYS some charity group that is in need to fabric and supplies to make charity quilts. If you say no thank you, that person will never offer again.
    Old 06-08-2015, 03:52 AM

As a Project Linus coordinator I accept everything offered and thank the giver profusely as I know they mean well and have most likely sweated and worried over it for many hours. When I get home they are carefully inspected for those that are suitable for kiddiewinks and those that are not. The "nots" are given to grateful organisations like Homeless shelters and the really grateful Vets and Doggy shelters, there is not one donation that I haven't been able to find a suitable home for.

Do please remember that the people giving to us mean well and have feelings that can easily be hurt, and even worse put them off giving!
    Old 06-08-2015, 05:25 AM
    Power Poster

I always accept whatever anyone wants to give me and then deal with it when I get home. However I do tell the giver that I will use what I can and with their permission donate the rest to a group that makes quilts for charity. If they don't agree, I don't take whatever.
    Old 06-08-2015, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    As a Project Linus coordinator I accept everything offered and thank the giver profusely as I know they mean well and have most likely sweated and worried over it for many hours. When I get home they are carefully inspected for those that are suitable for kiddiewinks and those that are not. The "nots" are given to grateful organisations like Homeless shelters and the really grateful Vets and Doggy shelters, there is not one donation that I haven't been able to find a suitable home for.

Do please remember that the people giving to us mean well and have feelings that can easily be hurt, and even worse put them off giving!
    This is exactly what I do and feel. In exchange for the wonderful things I sometimes get, I try to give the donor appreciation and peace of mind that the items will go to a good home. Sometimes I pass everything along, and once in awhile some stuff goes straight to the trash, but other times I've struck gold and always, always I appreciate the opportunity.
    Old 06-08-2015, 06:13 AM

I do a lot of scrap quilts and when I get a donation I try to get some of it into the current quilt; then show them that I used their fabric. Some gets all used up and some is in my "tote".
    Old 06-08-2015, 09:59 AM

I take what is offered and then go through and rehome things I do not need or want. Seldom been gifted with material but do the same with it, but usually keep as you can make backings or dog beds out of it.
    Old 06-08-2015, 11:10 AM
    Power Poster

Wow, this post is timed just so. My sister took a video of a tub of stash she says she is sending back with my niece. My sister lives in Indiana, and of course my niece lives here. This tub is big. I told my sister to donate it to a local guild, unless my niece wants it. She said it was a little smoky. Thanks but no thanks. My niece knew nothing about this. I told her to forget about it. Her car is not that big. Then she says she paid $xx for it. Told her to sell it in a yard sale or donate. Ugh! by the time it would get down here the stash will have been in the tub about6 weeks atleast. Told my niece I do not want it!