Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Donations >
  • Donations

• Donations

Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 PM

I know the feeling. I've been making quilts for a local women's resource center where I live for a while. When I walk in, it's wonderful to hear, "Oh, good, it's the quilt lady." I don't have much room for a big stash, and making these quilts is how I keep the stash manageable.
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:11 PM

You really do have a BIG heart...I'm not sure I would have donated again after that first disappointment. You are an inspiration to us all, I'm sure. God bless you many times over!
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:14 PM

May you be infinetly blessed!!!
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by barbrdunn
    In the spirit of the season, I took 20 child sized quilts today to a local shelter for abused women and children. They were simple, lap sized quilts, but you would have thought they were made of gold. The staff was so appreciative, it made it all worthwhile. And with that kind of appreciation, they can count on receiving them next year too. It felt so good to be able to give each child a new "blankie" for Christmas! I feel blessed to be able to do it.
    I agree wholeheartedly with what you are doing. I have taken a total of 25 lap quilts to the local nursing home for their wheel chair patients and again, just like you, you would have thought they were made of gold. They were gone practically as soon as I laid them on the counter and of course I left with just a wonderful feeling. I quilt nearly every day and whenever I get about 7 or so I make a trip to the nursing home. They are so thankful for them and they are so needed.
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by barbrdunn
    Thank you all for the kind words..you are all very nice. My post was not to boast, but to share the sense of appreciation that I received from the shelter. I was brought to tears. I have donated many quilts through my local guild, but you never see the faces of appreciation from those who receive them, unless you deliver them personally. I have only delivered quilts once before and was met with such non-appreciation I was very hurt. I delivered 12 quilts and the gal didn't even look at what I was donating nor ask my name before she took them to the back room. Sometimes I never knew where my donation quilts went after giving them to the guild either. Giving to this shelter was such a positive experience, I can't wait to get started on next year's!
    Truly the spirit of Christmas is giving, and Iam glad that you were able to share in the fjoy of your recipients. God Bless! :-D
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 PM

You are an inspiration!
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 PM

What a lovely thing you have done. A long time ago I had to get out with my family and start from nothing and I can tell you that your quilts would have meant so very much to us. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.
    Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 PM

this is something that is on my wish list to do along with pillows and pillow cases.. congrats to you
    Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM

YES IT IS, CHECK OUT BINKYPATROL.ORG, OR START ONE UP IN YOUR HOME TOWN. Since I have joined, I love to be able to donate my quilts to a good cause.
    Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM

All you quilters...I make quilts for charity every day. I sew for Project Linus who see to it every quilt goes to a child that "needs a hug," and also make quilts for the "Cover Up" program that gives quilts to abused children. I make small quilts (and some large) for the dogs and cats at the shelter in my area and use up a lot of scraps with those. I would heartily advise your looking into using your talents and love of quilting to spread your love around during these stressful times and make it easier for others. Love to all........Lulu's Mom. p.s. Lulu is a 9 yr old Chihauhau who loves all quilts. You can find her burrowed down under her quilts as I make new ones.