Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Don't Get Scared >
  • Don't Get Scared

• Don't Get Scared

Old 11-03-2015, 04:38 AM

I think it is hopeless.

Long before I took a job as a church administrator, red Kool-aid had been banned from that church. The rule had been made based on experience.
    Old 11-03-2015, 05:19 AM

RetroClean is my go to. A tad spendy, but consistent results, safe even for antique quilts. I have no connection to the company.
    Old 11-03-2015, 05:46 AM

I would try Oxy-clean. I dropped a bowl of cherry jam on our creme carpet (multi-tasking and trying to get too many dishes to the kitchen at one time) and in the couple of minutes it took to grab a knife and paper towels, it had left a horrible stain. I made a paste of Oxy-clean and water, and dabbed it on part of the stain. Worked in seconds.

And this is why the DGK's are not allowed to have coloured drinks in the living or family rooms!

I too love your quilt. Was it your own design or did you have a pattern?
    Old 11-03-2015, 05:52 AM
    Power Poster

Great top. I would try washing just that area by hand. Didn't see it on the picture. I have poor coordination so I drink out of a cup with a lid and a straw. It really does work well for me.
    Old 11-03-2015, 06:06 AM

Love your quilt. What pattern did you use?
    Old 11-03-2015, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven
    Change the kool-aid to Vodka!!!!
    LOL - spill and shrug.
    Old 11-03-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    First I would try not to hyperventilate myself into cardiac arrest. If I had scraps of the white I would test on it first. I would then do what I do for fruit stains. I would pour hot water from my kettle through the spot to see if it would come out being careful not to go into the colours.
    Great top by the way.
    My mother always said to support the area of fruit stain over a bowl or something in the laundry tub, then pour the boiling water FROM A HEIGHT. Is this an old wives' tale (the "from a height" part), or does it make a difference? I don't mean stand on a stool, just lift it up, extending your arm slightly upwards, and pour. I've always been nervous to omit this step, in case the stain didn't come out.
    Old 11-03-2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
    This is precisely why I never allowed koolaid with red dyes in our house when my kids were growing up. We learned to really like lemonade, LOL

Unfortunately, there's no fixing red koolaid or yellow mustard stains (ask me how I know). So, best not to tempt fate
    I have had real good luck with both Kool-Aid and mustard stains using Shout. A few yrs back DH had put in a light grey Berber carpet -not even 30 minutes later 3yo niece spills a 16 oz to go cup of red Kool Aid -I blotted up most of it but the red dye stayed. I squirted the day lights out of it with Shout and it all came out. It didn't do much good for my freshly painted wall. Mustard can take a few treatments depending on how old the stain is-youngest GS ate mustard like it was choco syrup and every thing the kid owned had mustard on it-Shout got even the oldest stains out. When my son was in 2nd or 3rd grade the class made Tye dyes using all the Kool Aid flavors - the shirts are 30 + yrs old and there is very little fading after all 6 kids and a zillion washing's.
    Old 11-03-2015, 07:43 AM

I would NEVER allow Kool Aid in my quilting room. Other than that, I would follow the advice of Onebyone to the letter.
    Old 11-03-2015, 07:47 AM
    Power Poster

I would immediately take it to the bathroom and do a power hose rinse on it, trying not to allow anytime for it to set. Rinsing from the outside edges of the stain in. My grandmother also used baking soda to help absorb as much of the stain as possible.