Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Don't you love it when >
  • Don't you love it when

• Don't you love it when

Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 PM

Thanks Marysewfun.....I had to copy that one down. I would like to sew it out on my Embroidery machine on a pillow. Three years ago my DH and I went from Fla. to Calif. for a month. I had a few hundred dollars cash in a drawer and thought about "what if someone broke in while we were traveliing across the country?" So I put the cash in one of Dh's socks and hid the sock in between fabrics and notions in my sewing room. (I figured no burglar would ever attempt to ransack my sewing room which was a disaster at the time. He'd probably run the other way. ha ha) Some time later, after we returned home, I had forgotten about the money and a year later, I thought I had spent the money because it wasn't in my dresser drawer anymore. I thought I had used the money towards a sewing machine I had purchased on E-Bay. Two weeks ago, my sewing room had so much clutter on the floor, DH decided to install shelving on the walls to organize all my junk and notions in plastic containers. Guess what I accidentally found safely nestled in a stack of fabrics?? Yep, I was so excited to find the money, I had forgotten I still had, and thought I had either spent or forgot where I put it in a safe place in case a burglar would break in while we were away!!! Now I can go buy more sewing stuff....right??
    Old 01-05-2014, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I think it would be worth it for me to have a security camera in my sewing room. I could replay the video to find out what happened to items I can't find. I bought a new shawl in Nov. and know I put the package on my cutting table. My plan was to remove the price tag and and secure a shawl pin on it. I haven't found the package or shawl since.
    I think you might just have a solution to all of our problems of lost and founds!! I like your idea, but I would probably lose the tape, or let it get full and forget to put a new one in. lol. I sure hate the losts, but love it when I find something, I put away just so I would definitely know where it was when needed-- NOT. Sure makes one feel good, knowing there are lots of others with this same problem. I looked for a pattern I had made a quilt from, for over a year , finally found it after I bought a new one. Is there any hope at all for we poor "losters" or perhaps I should say "hiders". lol Have a great New Year everyone.
    Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 PM

I lost the leg to my stuffed animal I was making, looked all over, then found it in the drawer of my sewing desk, only because I needed a different thread. Why would I put it in the drawer? PS I have 3 glue sticks, but don't they come in packs of 2??
    Old 01-05-2014, 11:34 PM

I purchased a piece of fabric to applique a Christmas tree on - had it all set up to do the embroidery first (did this while sewing with friends at the local quilt shop). When I put everything away to bring home, I put this project in the top of a fabric box (Christmas). When I got home, I put the box back on the shelf. When I went to work on my project, I couldn't find it ... bought more fabric, made the top and when I went to find a back (in my Christmas box), guess what I found! I ended up making both of them and gave one to a friend for Christmas. Now, I am looking for a small wool applique project (it's in a quart-size ziplock baggie). For the life of me, I don't know where it was left ... argh!
    Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Annie68
    You decide to do some organizing, cleaning out, sprucing up, and you find things you didn't know you had. I thought I was out of 60mm rotary blades, and hadn't been using my large cutter, which I like the best, when I found a pkg of three new blades. Also found a pkg of bobbin washers, and a glue stick, both of which I've been searching for. So, my few minutes of organizing, which I've been putting off has paid off. It was a good job for this cold Sat afternoon, too cold to go out of the house.

What have you found that you didn't know you owned?
    Please, tell me..what are bobbin washers. I thought that I have heard of all the quilting tools, but so far, not this one? thanks………..
    Old 01-06-2014, 05:10 AM

Just read, with such a huge smile on my face, everyone's posts. We are all brethren for sure. The one thing I have lost the most, and no one else has posted about, is my seam rippers. Yes plural. I find about 10 of them and then 10 of them disappear and I must go buy another 2 or three. I cannot sew a single thing without a seam ripper. It is just as important to me as fabric.
    Old 01-06-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
    Please, tell me..what are bobbin washers. I thought that I have heard of all the quilting tools, but so far, not this one? thanks………..
    They are little round circles with a hole that fit in your bobbin case to help eliminate backlash and birdsnest tangles on the back of your quilt while free motion quilting.
    Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 AM

I have cards in the front of my recipe box where I have catalogued all the excess fabrics. So I just look at the cards and go get the box I need. So I am thinking, why couldn't I do this with all these quilting notions, and note where I hide them when I am "straightening up" before company. I have lost a cover for my iron bottom and a ripper that I bought at a quilt show. I did find the sewing course I bought at the same time, I had put it in a binder and stored it with our business binders???? We all just have too much stuff.
    Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 AM

Well I really haven't found it yet, and I know I own it. But I lost the arm that fits around my machine. Don't asked how but if you could see the mess in my sewing room maybe you could understand. Hope to find it as I finish organizing the entire room - a spare bedroom.
    Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gladygirl
    You ladies are scaring me!!!!! We are moving this summer after living in this house for 42 years and I am scared of what I might find --especially under the dust bunnies!!!! I have a corner cabinet in the kitchen that hasn't been cleared out for years--wonder whats in there by now.
    OMG You might find a child or a cat or dog you lost. lol