Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Downsizing >
  • Downsizing

• Downsizing

Old 07-25-2010, 03:45 PM

When I am undecided about something I take sheet of paper with a line down the center. I would list all the reasons for keeping everything on the left side.
    On the right side I would list all my reasons for letting it go.
    The side that has the longest list wins.
    This helps to give me some insight from my inner feelings as well. It may just be a temporary feeling. I wouldn't want to see you make a quick decision that you might regret later.
    Old 07-25-2010, 03:50 PM

Yes, at times our supplies can get overwhelming. From a strictly financial viewpoint, unless you're independently wealthy and can afford to go out and buy fabric all the time, I would suggest that you keep your items. Prices will continue to go up on everything. There's a post about Jinny Beyer increasing her fabric prices by 50 cents a yard. Patterns aren't around forever. They do get discontinued.

If you need to spend some time re-organizing your sewing room so it's easier for you to find what you're looking for and more comfortable for you to work, then do so. That's a great rainy day project.

No one says you have to make large quilts. You can make and do whatever makes you happy.
    Old 07-25-2010, 03:53 PM

I straightened up fabric today on shelves and pulled a whole kitchen trash bag full of fabric to take to the senior center tomorrow where I sew every Monday. I know I will never use all this fabric and someone else might think it a treasure. I often give stuff away that's half finished. MY scrap baskets are still overflowing. I would suggest selling it here or donating to a worthy cause.
    Old 07-25-2010, 03:57 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joyce
    When I am undecided about something I take sheet of paper with a line down the center. I would list all the reasons for keeping everything on the left side.
    On the right side I would list all my reasons for letting it go.
    The side that has the longest list wins.
    This helps to give me some insight from my inner feelings as well. It may just be a temporary feeling. I wouldn't want to see you make a quick decision that you might regret later.
    I really like what Joyce said. I'm also suffering from being overwhelmed. Right now I feel like I am too compulsive about buying too much and then getting overwhelmed with projects.
    Yes it can appear funny (I've laughed right along with all of you about all our "stuff") but sometimes it feels awful !!

I really need to be more realistic and make better choices in my quilting adventures. It's not supposed to cause stress!!
    Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM

I have made only one large quilt, a twin size and that was in the 80s. I stick to wall hangings, lap quilts, and table runners. Big projects just stress me out way too much. I gave up quilting 20 years ago because I thought I had to produce large projects. After discovering this wonderful forum, I learned it is okay to do what makes me happy- small projects. Thanks everybody!
    Old 07-25-2010, 04:29 PM

Maybe you can organize a quilt donation construction day... that's what I'm planning to do with the majority of my unwanted stash.. I sold a lot of it on Craigslist and at yard sales - and I keep thinking I should list a lot of what I have here or on Ebay.. but for now I am planning a blanket making day this October and have a bunch of friends come over and sew up quilt tops to be donated to a local quilt shop that will back and quilt them up.

There are lots of charities - even the pillowcase one which I'm also considering.... I might just have to do both!

You got to do what makes you feel good though - and don't go too downsizing crazy cause you will give yourself a head slap when you find a project you want to make and be like oooh... I gave that away....

oooh - and also remember grocery bags! I make and give away to friends and relatives fabric grocery bags. I am all about helping others start to go green!
    Old 07-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Char
    I'm getting overwhelmed with fabric, tools, patterns,quilt room space, and most of all the unfinished projects that I want to do!!!
    So I'm thinking of downsizing to fewer and smaller projects.
    Part of my problem is that I just can't cope with putting large projects together any more.
    Does anybody have suggestions and or thoughts about this?
    have only been back to quilting for a few mos.& started w/ a queen,2 babies & am FORCING myself to finish another queen.WHY do i do this to myself? i've made a promise[hah] to me not to make anything bigger than a twin [fybro&arthritis are KILLING me].....let's see how long THAT lasts!!!point is,if i keep biting off more than i can sew,i'm afraid i'll give up on it agan,& i DON"T want to do that! can i still be onthe board if i fake it ???lol
    Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 PM
    Power Poster

As others have said until you are totally sure you won't want any of the itmes in question , can you put them away where you won't be seeing them and they won't be making you crazy :wink:

And remember it is about your happiness, no-one elses . There are no rules about what you "have" to do :lol:

Maybe take a break and give yourself time to think and regroup :thumbup: Good luck
    Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 PM

You can do whatever makes you the happiest. If just talking feels good, then do talking. I know I'll be happy to listen, eh reading.
    Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 PM

Thank you. That's what I've been thinking instead of stressing myself with over committing.