Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Downy Quilts for Kids - Need Advice!!!! >
  • Downy Quilts for Kids - Need Advice!!!!

• Downy Quilts for Kids - Need Advice!!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 PM
    Power Poster

I layered and pin basted then machine stitched in the ditch around the squares. I mitered the binding and sewed it by machine. It turned out very flat and square.

I checked the mailing tube and the p.o. didn't have any but the clerk said it would fit fine in one and would be about $5 to mail. I packed the QFK quilt in a Connecting Threads box and it cost me $7.40 to mail back.
    Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 PM

Does anyone know of a place that needs small quilts for breast cancer patients? I heard that small cheerful quilts are useful for women undergoing radiation. Thanks!
    Old 04-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
    Thanks everyone for the input! I am getting more and more excited about this endeavor! I can hardly wait til the kit gets here.

Bellaboo - Your quilt is adorable.

Edie - I checked, but there isn't a chapter close to me here in PA. I wonder if there would be a way to contact one of them here in PA anyway and work through them.

Amma - thanks for the tip about a blanket stitch, I was worried about how to eliminate the "lip" when machine sewing the binding if I didn't decide to "pillowcase" it.
    If you check on Downy and go to chapters, you will find the list of chapters under Pennsylvania. Pick out the closest one to you and contact them. That should work a lot better for you. Edie
    Old 04-21-2010, 03:44 PM

Edie,

Thanks, I will do that.
    Old 04-21-2010, 05:26 PM

I ordered one early this past December. A mistake on my part because of busy holidays. Mine was returned in about ten weeks instead of as requested because it took me longer to put together and I didn't have time to construct another to send. So I mailed them only the one quilt for which they had sent the fabric. Maybe I'll do another sometime.
    Old 04-21-2010, 05:45 PM

Wow Linda. Thank you for joining in to inform us. I am enjoying quilting for these children. I took a break from Project Linus to help with the Downey program. I agree, a Big Thank you to all the sponsors. And to you for it's beginning.
    Old 04-21-2010, 06:46 PM

I made one in 4 and 3/4 hour and that included the cutting. I actually haven't made the one they sent me yet.
    Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 PM

I only sent one in, when I did mine. It was right between Thanksgiving and Christmas and I just didn't have time to do an extra. Maybe I can later.
    Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 PM

the pattern they suggest is very easy i did mine in one afternoon from start to finish . the backing was in my kit
    Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 AM

What I like the most about the Downy quilt and the QFK (Quilts for Kids) project is that it is so exciting to see what you get in the mail, the fabric, the pattern and then you just take some quiet time and put it together. It gives you such warm fuzzies while you are working on it knowing that it will help a small child or a baby (I am working on NICU quilts now). It gives you time to pray for a child who is not healthy like your child or may never grow up like your child did but you are giving this child/baby the warm fuzzies too. Each one of these little children are mine while I am making the quilt. I am hoping and praying that they will be all right and grow and flourish and maybe my quilt kept them safe and warm for a little time. I take a picture of each quilt and remember. Edie