Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Drankards path
>
  • Drankards path

• Drankards path

Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Does anyone have any tips or hints about the "drankards path"? I am trying to enlarge the block to a 9"x9" square. All the templates I have found are for small blocks.

Thanks!
    Irene

Attached Thumbnails urgodschild2.jpg   moonrise-weathervane.jpg   nelco.jpg   arizona-kat-swing-middle.jpg   elsabrat-side-swat.jpg  

kats-kid-morning-star-2.jpg   jaba-union-squared.jpg   seasaw2mch-folded-star.jpg   terrriamn-coxeys-camp-block.jpg   molly-munchkin-rosebud.jpg  

dergie-cheerleader.jpg   libster-denises-star.jpg   travelinggramma-four-winds.jpg   billi-crown-thorns-2.jpg   gaijin-variable-star.jpg  

groovy-pieces-road-oklahoma.jpg   sunrise450-hourglass-4.jpg   jclinganrey-cherry-starburst.jpg   bibliostone-old-town-star.jpg   bluelady-galaxy-x.jpg  

imag0038.jpg   imag0036.jpg  
    Old 08-03-2007, 05:12 AM
    Banned

Hello Irene. Here's an easy way to change the size of a Drunkard's Path block.

Measure the length from the corner of the block within the quarter circle to the edge of the circle (the radius). Divide that number by the total length of the block. Now multiply that result by the length of the block you want to make. This will give you the length of the circle part for the new block.

For example, if you want to make a 9 inch block and you have a 6 inch block with a circle part of 4 inches, your math would be 4 ÷ 6 x 9 = 6. The circle size for the 9 inch block would be 6 inches. The proportion is usually about two thirds circle, one third arch.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails quilt-1.jpg   quilt-07.jpg   quilt-08.jpg   quilt-02.jpg   quilt-03.jpg  

quilt-04.jpg   quilt-05.jpg   quilt-06.jpg  
    Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 AM

Slightly off subject - but, I have my great-grandmother's Drunkard's Path quilt - all hand pieced and hand quilted. It is gorgeous.

Good luck with yours - I'm sure it will be beautiful!
    Attached Thumbnails 2014-may-block-swap-caroline-004.jpg   2014-monthly-block-swap-cjr-april-004.jpg   2014-monthly-block-swap-cjr-april-005.jpg   2014-monthly-block-swap-bibliostone_elise.jpg   august-2014-blocks-005.jpg  

Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
    lin

Originally Posted by nor'easter
    Hello Irene. Here's an easy way to change the size of a Drunkard's Path block.

Measure the length from the corner of the block within the quarter circle to the edge of the circle (the radius). Divide that number by the total length of the block. Now multiply that result by the length of the block you want to make. This will give you the length of the circle part for the new block.

For example, if you want to make a 9 inch block and you have a 6 inch block with a circle part of 4 inches, your math would be 4 ÷ 6 x 9 = 6. The circle size for the 9 inch block would be 6 inches. The proportion is usually about two thirds circle, one third arch.

Hope this helps.
    Wow! I am soooo not a math person, LOL so thanks for the formula nor'easter. I'm printing that out for future reference. :)
    Old 08-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Yikes! I learned just enough math to balance a checkbook and figure mileage on the car. It's nice to know the secret to the perfect Drunkard's Path block. I spent years folding papers in quarters, then drawing arcs with strings tied on pencils!!!
    Attached Thumbnails img_4599.jpg  
    Old 08-03-2007, 11:50 AM
    Banned

teehee! I love the math of quilting so I'm glad to be of help on that front whenever I can. I actually do a lot of my designs using Excel, but I'm the first to admit that's just plan weird!

And Leslee, you'll still need the string on the pencil. The math just tells you how long the string should be!
    Old 08-04-2007, 04:22 AM
    Administrator

one 9-inch drunk, at your service
    :mrgreen:

first one printed on legal paper. this is exactly the same, but prints on letter size paper

set page scaling to "none". click on "advanced" and select "print as image" to ensure the same allowances print, too
    Attached Files
    File Type: pdf
    Attachment-53732.pdf (11.0 KB, 142 views)