Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dritz basting spray >
  • Dritz basting spray

• Dritz basting spray

Old 05-04-2018, 04:55 AM
    Power Poster

I think you must be using too much spray. I spray very lightly and then still use a few pins very widely spaced, to help the glue hold. My quilts never feel stiff.

Your batting may have something to do with it, too. 100% cotton batting will feel more stiff than a poly batt in a finished quilt.
    Old 05-04-2018, 06:13 AM

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 05-04-2018, 02:29 PM
    Power Poster

I just spray side to side and move down and spray again. unfold the top and press in place as I go.then move and roll up top from other side and spray again. always moving my arm and using light spray as you would with hair spray.
    Old 05-04-2018, 04:30 PM

I use any brand, no problem...l lay my layered quilt on plastic ( overspray). I lift 1/2 of quilt's top & batting, folding back onto other half.Holding the can about 15 " away, I then Very Lightly spay the exposed backing plus batting that's folded over. I unfold the batting, smoothe in place onto backing. Next l Sparing Spray that batting's top plus the underside of quilt top which is still folded over. Now l unfold top & smoothe over the batting. Half your quilt is now basted.Continue with the other side's batting and top fold over the half that's just been spay basted. Again, the back of batting and backing get Sparse spray from a 15" distance. Fold the batting over the back that was just sprayed. Now spray the top of the batting and last half of top's underside. Unfold & smoothe into place. Once basted, flip over & check for creases etc. You can gently peel back 1/2 of quilt's top or backing, reposition & smoothe into place if need be. I find smoothing from center to outside works best. When you are satisfied that all is well, set with heat of iron. No steam , just a bit hotter than " wool" setting, and hover the iron just above surgface of quilt top. Then flip over & repeat with back. On a lapsize, you will need no pins . I do reccommend you safety pin the backing to the front all around the edges before quilting. This keeps the batting from catching on your machine's foot, gives you something to grab when quilting near edges, and prevents you from accidently catching a piece of backing into the quilting near the borders.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-05-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Old 05-04-2018, 07:46 PM

I have found that if i use warm water in the washer it works much better getting the spray out.
    Old 05-05-2018, 07:14 AM

I use Sullivan's basting spray which washes right out and the fabrics still stays soft during the whole quilting process. With any spray, make sure not to over do the spraying.