Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Drowning in projects >
  • Drowning in projects

• Drowning in projects

Old 12-08-2010, 07:07 AM

Books Books and more Books , all quilting and sewing and now started printing from online as well !!! Books are tabbed for projects, shelves are full of fabric and notions and projects with fabric and book I could go on and on and on , I should live so long !! Yes wip 2 Christmas quilts and a wall hanging Beautitudes quilt, table runner binding for my machine cover, quilted slippers, and sooooo many projects for sewing clothes as well !!!!! Yikes ! LOVING IT ALL !!! Would love to have someone come and cut up my fabrics into different sizes !!!! Anyone game ? LOL
    Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 AM

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I only have about 6 or 7 projects but they keep multiplying.
    Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 AM

I like blocks of the month. So I broke down my projects into BOMs. I can do something on several projects, don't get bored, and feel like I'm making progress. Also, spent time organizing my "BOMs" into bins, so I can keep track of all the fabric and pieces -- and patterns! I seem to lose patterns part-way thru a project.
    Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 AM

I was like this until about a year ago. I just started feeling anxious (no better word for it) to have all these things in the works and nothing was getting DONE. I vowed that I was going to finish things before starting on something else.

It has worked for the most part. I got over a dozen quilt tops done last year and I've only got about 6 left to get quilted. I'm working on two quilts right now but on a standstill with one of them because of fabric and getting up the gumption to do the applique borders on the other.

I have some little odds and ends, like 4 paper pieced mariner's stars done but, I just do a block when I feel like it. I have a whole lot of things PLANNED and have the fabric for them but haven't started on them yet so I don't consider them UFOs. I think that alieviates some of the desire to work on something new. I decide on a pattern, or design it in EQ7, and get the fabric for it then put it away until I can get to it.
    Old 12-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
    one thing that has helped me with this dilemma ~ One day I sat with a White Board and actually make a list of unfinished projects and Definite Future Projects (i.e., "quilt for niece's birthday," vs "try this new pattern" - I have a notebook for those.). I've hung the white board on my wall. It's made a huge impact in the number of anxious thoughts that crash about in my brain, and helped me to Feel organized. Also has helped quell some of my impulsive quilting Starts because if I start something then I must add it to the list. Bonus Moment: it feels So Good to cross them off.
    I love this idea. I might have to borrow it. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the anxious thoughts. Having too much unfinished causes me to feel stressed :( . Maybe this will help.
    Old 12-08-2010, 11:38 AM

My problem was collecting patterns, even though I had several projects going too. I have so many patterns that five people won't live long enough to make all of them. I just had to discipline myself--I can't buy or print any more patterns unless I'm going to make it right then--right now. Same can go for you. Pick a number of projects you have to complete before you can start a new one. You don't have to finish all of them--just some of them--and then discpline yourself! (Not trying to sound like your mother--but this is how I have to talk to MYSELF if I'm going to stick to my goals.)

Another way is to give yourself a challenge--weekly or monthly, or even daily, if you dare--decide how much you want to get done and then do it before you can move on to something new. For example, "I will do the quilting on this quilt by the end of the month."
    Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 PM

I agree it sounds like you have a plan - I had a friend come by and we went through a clost of fabric and stuff that was cluttering up my life - Some she took but a lot we donated to a school for mentally challenged people. I bought stuff I couldn't figure out why - I am not a stash person, so maybe I'm not a true quilter - I need to declutter all areas of omy life
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Lots of fabric queued up but NO I WILL NOT START ANOTHER TILL I FINISH THIS ONE!!:)
    Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
    Help... Been quilting for a year, finished 3, started 30.... :shock: :mrgreen:

Good: I love all the stuff I've been making so far and the exploration that comes with each one.

Bad: I'm running out of storage space in my home...

Ugly: Can't open a cupboard without a project tumbling into my arms. It's seriously interfering with my concentration, not to mention with my flow of ideas to start even more new ones.... :lol: :cry:

Help...

So I donated a bunch of blocks to my quilting guild for a charity sew-in. It was a relief, but most of my projects are and will remain MINE!!!! :evil:

Now I've decided to finish 3 before I start even one more. If this feel good, then I may decide finish another 3 before I start another one. And so on, until I can breathe again. Someday.... Grumble.

Help...
    (No thank you, I'm not giving them away. :-P But I'd love support, suggestions, stories about your project stack, pile or mountain... And thanks for reading. I feel a bit better already.)
    you are not alone in this girl. I have 7 quilts that need finishing and 10 table toppers along with 15 mug rugs and candle dolies, and 6 seasonal door hangers and last but not least I have 6-8 table runners to finish and 6 shoe shaped bottle holders for a friend and all need to be done by Christmas. So see we all have a lot left to do and going on. I cannot get into my sewing room without moving a lot of the stuff I am working on. I do a little of it and clean then go back and do more and time is just a ticking. I am making headway but hey who isn't..Give it away yea I will but it is because it is my heart not my work or pocketbook....That's just me.
    Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM

I have so many UFOs it scares me to count--have fifteen to finish for Xmas.
    Trying to finish tying and binding a baby quilt and table runner and 6 placemats by tomorrow night---wish me luck.....
    giving a bunch of tops to Project Linus reduced my project load by 16--hurray! I have finished fourteen projects this month, so I am making progress at last....