Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Duh!  (and another newbie question about thread) >
  • Duh! (and another newbie question about thread)

• Duh! (and another newbie question about thread)

Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 AM

I always go neutral...cream, white, etc.

I will warn you about Coats & Clark - it has created so much dust in my machine that I will not use it again. I prefer Aurafil, or other high quality threads. I usually wait until they are on sale at Joanne's (you can get them at 50% off) and stock up!

I consider my machine a major investment and almost like another child - and don't want to damage it with what I put in her tummy!
    Old 06-13-2009, 07:48 AM

I have never had trouble with C&C thread, but I have a really sturdy older machine. I understand some of the newer machines are a little more fussy.

Ask your instructor what kind of thread she thinks you should use. That's why you are paying to take a class. :wink:
    Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 AM
    Power Poster

I like using poly for piecing, no lint at all. About it damaging cotton fabtric, I have read that most 'people that know this stuff' say they have no idea why that caution was ever so popular. Bottom Line by Superior is 100% poly and Sew Fine is poly. Anyway, use a good brand of thread for piecing and look at what other class members are using. You will find the thread you like and your machine likes by experiementing. Right now I'm using Essential thread by Connecting Threads for my piecing. I like it and my machine likes it.
    Old 06-13-2009, 09:24 AM
    Power Poster

can't add anything new, really. I go with neutrals, and I use Essential threads, 100% cotton.
    I have read, that the caution about cotton thread to cotton material, is not as much a problem, now that ppl do machine quilting. It was very important when most were hand quilting. I am a little on the cautious side, and as i gain experiece, i may branch out later. For now, have much cotton thread, as I stocked up! :D
    P.S. not to confuse you...you will learn in time, their are many opinions on many things, in quilting, that is why you hear the refrain...whatever YOU like or want...there are some professional quilters, that press their seams open. They say...lol, ('they say") that their seams lie flatter.
    I will probably do some of both. :D
    Old 06-13-2009, 09:42 AM
    Power Poster

I too went with the connecting threads brand, Essentials. They sell it in lots of different combinations. I had a big problem with the coats and clarks giving my newer bernina fits. My old bernina does not care which thread I use with it. So I will save it for sewing with that one.

The essentials is very reasonable by the collection price.

The color thread is the most important when you are quilting on the top, than when you are piecing. I also use a neutral to my fabric when piecing.

Keep us posted after your class. I really want to see your quilt, it sounds really pretty.
    Old 06-13-2009, 07:23 PM

I like colors, even have neon green, and I am not afraid to use them! LOL...I enjoy Mettlers ( i think thats how it's spelled ) threads, but they can be a bit expensive....and ( dont tell anyone this ) I always use embrodiery thread (Nylon), when I am doing the quilting..it's got a thicker, softer shinner look to it...plus unlike a lot of threads I've worked with, it doesn't break as often.
    Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 PM
    Banned

i use embroidery thread often on my quilt top along with metallics and holographics.

i love all the fancy type threads that are on the market - i'm like a kid in a candy store.
    Old 06-13-2009, 07:38 PM

I just bought some essentials thread from Connecting Threads. I hope it's good - any feedback on it?
    Old 06-14-2009, 07:33 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    I just bought some essentials thread from Connecting Threads. I hope it's good - any feedback on it?
    i think more people around here really like that thread vs. those who don't care for it.

i think some people have a lint issue with that thread and their machine.
    Old 06-14-2009, 07:59 AM

Pay attention to the thread weight (thickness), too. A 50wt thread is good for machine piecing and will let your seams lie nice and flat.