Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • dull! dull! dull! >
  • dull! dull! dull!

• dull! dull! dull!

Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 AM

Yep, even the kitchen knives need to be sharpened to work well. Had a big family BBQ last weekend and I was cutting off the corn on the cob - figured it was easier on everybody if I cut it off for them ahead of time. I was actually "sawing" it off and my DH walks by and grabs my knife and runs it through his sharpener and then I was able to just slice it off - no more sawing. DUH!!!
    Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    Yep, even the kitchen knives need to be sharpened to work well. Had a big family BBQ last weekend and I was cutting off the corn on the cob - figured it was easier on everybody if I cut it off for them ahead of time. I was actually "sawing" it off and my DH walks by and grabs my knife and runs it through his sharpener and then I was able to just slice it off - no more sawing. DUH!!!
    Mine would have made some comment - about why didn't I ASK him to sharpen the knives? Usually, he is really good about keeping the knives sharp. Every once in a while he makes some statement that I think is ridiculous - they are in the category of - gee, if you didn't use them for anything they would stay sharp longer. I usually try to avoid sawing through wire, granite, sandstone, etc. while I'm using the knives!

I do consider the kitchen knives "mine" - even though other members of the household use them.
    Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 AM

I agree with all of you, but I wait until I absolutely can't stand running my rotary cutter over a cut more than once, then I change. But usually it is only one spot of the blade that leaves just a few threads uncut.....and I try to convince myself that I can tolerate it.
    Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 AM
    Power Poster

I sharpen the blades before every cutting session and during. If you sharpen a sharp blade it lasts a long time. This sharpener makes it fast and easy: http://www.sewforless.com/item/Grace...Fcqe4Aod2lAASg It won't remove a nick in the blade though. I get a nick I toss the blade.

I toss pins when I have to push them through fabric. Pins should glide. I use Clover Patchwork Pins. I use a pinmoor on every pin, I detest pin pricks. I usually use a new needle everytime when handsewing mostly because I can't find the one I used before. LOL. DH takes care of the better kitchen knives. For utility knives I toss and buy new. I'm not a make do type person if it isn't necessary.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 08-18-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 AM

Ever seen the t-shirt with the saying "Runs with Scissors"? That would be us.
    Old 08-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Yup, I can spend scads of $$ on fabric but when it comes to the bare bones necessity of a sharp rotary blade......I know I've waited too long to change the flippin' blade when I could chew through it easier than use the rotary cutter.
    Old 08-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I sharpen the blades before every cutting session and during. If you sharpen a sharp blade it lasts a long time. This sharpener makes it fast and easy: http://www.sewforless.com/item/Grace...Fcqe4Aod2lAASg It won't remove a nick in the blade though. I get a nick I toss the blade.

I toss pins when I have to push them through fabric. Pins should glide. I use Clover Patchwork Pins. I use a pinmoor on every pin, I detest pin pricks. I usually use a new needle everytime when handsewing mostly because I can't find the one I used before. LOL. DH takes care of the better kitchen knives. For utility knives I toss and buy new. I'm not a make do type person if it isn't necessary.
    Bellamy you are the first person who I have heard like myself throws out pins when they don't glide through fabric. I made the comment on Friday and pele were shocked I hers pins away.
    Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM
    Power Poster

I also discard pins that won't go through fabric easily.
    Old 08-18-2013, 01:07 PM

One thing that will never get dull, bear, is your keen wit.
    Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 PM

I recently bought a new package of the long quilting pins with the yellow heads. I bet that I threw out at least 10 of them! They didn't even have points. I think the machine that makes them was sick that day.