Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dumpster Diving Divas >
  • Dumpster Diving Divas

• Dumpster Diving Divas

Old 01-10-2014, 11:38 AM
    Power Poster

WOW, a marina dumpster dive, not your every day thing to encounter.
    Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Default reusables

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
    I never heard of Goodwill offering Dumpster Dives. I'll have to contact them. Hmm, I wonder about the Salvation Army shops? They usually have better stuff.

My DH picks up stuff left out for the trash, usually lawn chairs for our bonfire. But once he found a perfectly good preformed pond, and a friend gave me one HER DH found, so I have two beautiful small lily ponds, because I love gardening even more than I love quilting.
    My husband found a bed frame sitting on the curb in an influential neiborhood. It is hardrock maple. It is an antique; it is put together with pegs instead of glue and nails. Been in my beroom for about 45 years now. Love it...
    Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 PM

I'm reading this thread and a few things have come to mind:
    When you talk about bedbugs in used furniture, I think about The Big Bang Theory episode where Penny found a chair on the curb and there was some kind of creature in it!

I wondered if our Goodwill has those authorized dumpster Dives. And kudos to those that do to keep stuff out of the landfills and to the people that thrive on repurposing.

Men's ties can be used for lots of things. Pinterest has bunches- some are really ugly, but all are creative. My favorite is the flowers made from them and the quilts of course.
    Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 PM

Speaking of dumpster diving,,, be careful! About 10 years ago I would dumpster after work to get small boxes for mailing. When you do this lean over the edge on your stomach not your RIBS as I cracked one doing it!
    Old 01-10-2014, 04:19 PM

Thursday a dear friend found a Viking / Husqvarna 6030 model with foot. She called me to come and service/explain it use. Had a bobbin. Haven't had time to look it up as I had to go to Dr today for a lingering cough.
    Old 01-10-2014, 04:25 PM

Well, since you live near a marina you don't live near me. I'm landlocked in Tennessee. Was sure hoping to learn at your feet.
    Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 PM

The GW closest to me is real proud of what they sell...to expensive for what they have. Pay another $1 or 2 & you can get it brand new.
    Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 PM

I did that also. I had thrown away a big stack on quilting magazine into our dumpster and when my sis found out about it she suggested we get them back out, she wanted them. I leaned over and my foot slipped off of whatever I had stood on, I cracked a couple ribs.
    Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
    Speaking of dumpster diving,,, be careful! About 10 years ago I would dumpster after work to get small boxes for mailing. When you do this lean over the edge on your stomach not your RIBS as I cracked one doing it!
    Old 01-10-2014, 07:29 PM

Our Goodwill is very expensive also. My daughter new a friend that was dumpster diving and thought she found a fur coat and it was in a box. It was a dead dog. How can people be so curl with their animals who pass?
    Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by JanieH
    Houston has a heavy trash day for each neighborhood every other month (the alternate months it is tree/yard waste). It is so much fun to drive through neighborhoods and see what people have put out - many thrift stores/antique stores/people/etc. have regular routes and schedules to check what is availabe. We have often laughed and said by the time the city trucks come around a good portion of the "stuff" has already been removed from the curbs and that is good news for everyone.

My best score: my nephew and great nephew found a brand new cat play tower - people had moved out of the house and left it on the curb. Boy , have my 2 girls really loved it and it saved me about $200!
    I have two of those cat towers... both of them I pulled off of the curb! The cats love them! What a deal!!