Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dust concern >
  • Dust concern

• Dust concern

Old 02-08-2012, 11:32 AM

I made a curtain, double fabric, well made it like a pillow case and tacked it up on my wooden shelves. I plan on putting grommets in and make them roman type shades. I worry about the dust and the light fade. There is ususally dust in any ones sewing room as just working and cutting and sewing fabrics create dust. Good point.
    Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 PM
    Power Poster

I have my fabrics folded on my ruler and put into a large 48 x 72" cabinet w/doors. I always wash my quilts when finished.
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Try living in the middle of the desert where the wind is always blowing. I have all my fabric stored in drawers and tubs. Might take me a while to find something but beats dirty or faded fabric.
    Old 02-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Before my cabinets I had my stash stored in trunks and boxes. I labeled the trunks: 1, 2, 3 etc. I then went thru the fabric and cut a small piece off the edge, measured how much was on the piece (if there was say a 1 yd left with pieces left over I would put 1yd+) and pasted the info on the line of a sheet of paper and the trunk or box# it was in. When I looked at books and magazines while watching TV, if I found something I might like to make, I would "shop" thru my notebook stash, and if I had enough of a piece to use for the quilt I wanted to make, I would know which trunk to pull from. That way I did not have to constantly go thru the stash to find what or how much I had, etc.
    Old 02-08-2012, 04:07 PM

I have stored my fabrics in plastic crates, stacked 4 high and 4 wide (with the opening facing out). I put a piece of heavy cardboard (don't recall where I found the piece) on top to make a shelf. Then I purchased a sheet of styrofoam, covered it with flannel and proped it up in front of the bins of fabric. This forms my design wall as well as covering my fabrics from my full wall of windows. When I want to get to the fabrics, I simply slide the lightweight wall out a bit and voila!! I can get to all of my fabrics. This way I can sort by colors too.