Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Easier way for left-handed people to quilt
>

Old 09-20-2007, 05:41 AM

I am a leftie and I have a very hard time quilting more than one stitch at a time. Does anyone know if there is an easier way for left-handed people to quilt?

Thank you, Debbie
    Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 AM

Same as for righties....practice, practice, practice. Trying varying your needle, longer or shorter, I like shorter for smaller stitches. Kep your fabric tension a little loose, but smooth. And use your other hand to poke from underneath to help the needle go throught the fabric for shorter stitches. Start with trying 2 sttches and work your way up to 3 or 4. Any more than that is too hard. Good luck, and happy quilting!
    Old 09-20-2007, 06:06 AM

I'm a leftie as well, but fortunately stitch with my right. I attempted with the left once and it was a big ole mess.
    Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 AM

I also am a leftie. I use my left and to hold needle and my right hand is under material to press needle back up and get about 6 stitches on needle, then pull thread thru material. I use a short, sharp needle, and have the material smooth, but loose enough to rock the needle back and forth to get small stitches. It took me a lot of practice to get consistent, steady stitches, so do not get discouraged. I used to use long needles but kept breaking them. I also bought beeswax to coat the thread and tip of the needle when it becomes hard to push thru material. I have learned on here that needles dull fast, and replace now when the beeswax doesn't help. The sharp needles make handquilting sooooo much better!!!!!!!! keep trying, I am glad I did!!!
    Deb :mrgreen:
    Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 AM

wow Nepthys that's odd, at least to me . I'm a righty but if I tried to use that needle in my left hand it would be a mess and my right hand would be full of holes!
    Old 09-20-2007, 11:36 AM

I'm a lefty too. Honestly, the only way to make it easier is to practice, practice, practice. Everything everyone has written is correct. Use a shorter needle, start out with 1 or 2 stitches, and gradually add more. When I was first learning to quilt, I quilted every day, even if only for 15 minutes. The more you do it, the better you get. Remember, you may be left-handed, but you're always in your right mind! :D :mrgreen:
    Good luck!
    Old 09-20-2007, 02:30 PM
    MCH

Left-handed / right-minded...also have heard, "Everyone is born right-handed but the truly great ones overcome it." :? Not that that's a personal philosopy, being a "leftie". I prefer the left-handed / right- mided observation :wink: .

I write, use a hand saw and gardening utensils, paint, quilt, eat, use a dust rag, sew, hold a racquet ball racquet and hold my coffee cup in my left hand. NOT AT THE SAME, though! :lol: However, I swing a golf club, toss a ball, serve a volleyball, and swing a bat using my right hand.

Several years ago I taught sewing classes. I got the biggest kick out of the reactions of some of the students when they realized I was a lefty. "How can you use the sewing machine? It's set up for right-handed people?"

The best times, though, were when I would be playing racquetball and would be receiving the serve. The server thought they were serving to my backhand. I smacked (forehand) the ball into the front corner and it died there, giving me the point. I would then serve the ball using my left hand and cause the ball to "hang" on the wall to my left which was to the other's backhand...the ball would land in the back corner, "die", and I'd get the point. By the time I'd scored 4 or 5 points to their 0, they would realize that I'm a lefty...at which time they would change their serve, hoping to capitalize on my probably weak backhand. That didn't always work, either, because I had a killer backhand. I didn't always win the matches, but I sure did score some easy points! :lol:

Anyway, just practice quilting left-handed. I will be just as beautiful and satisfying...and besides, folks will wonder how you could do somehting so beautiful as a lefty. Just smile and say, "It's just natural for me." :wink:

Quiltingly from the Left Coast (CA) -- madolyn
    Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
    wow Nepthys that's odd, at least to me . I'm a righty but if I tried to use that needle in my left hand it would be a mess and my right hand would be full of holes!
    Not so odd. There are many of us lefties that do most things right handed.

Makes us both left brained and right braned..

I play racquetball right handed, draw on a chalk or white board right handed, throw and bat right handed, eat left handed, write left handed, and am ambidextrous when it comes to scratching my butt.

Quilting? I haven't asked the Bernina if it's right handed or left handed.

tim in san jose
    Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 AM

ROFLMBO!
    Old 09-21-2007, 02:46 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    I am ambidextrous when it comes to scratching my butt.

tim in san jose
    so was Sybil