Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Echo quilting >
  • Echo quilting

• Echo quilting

Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    I have done the same sort of pattern on a customer's quilt (on my longarm, but you can do the same thing on DSM), and rather than tying off for every square (for me, triangle for you) I just did a straight line over to where I wanted to go. You can see it in the third picture of my blog, here: http://farmquilter.blogspot.com/2014...mer-quilt.html Works really well.
    That is beautiful work! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 PM

I'm quilting the little triangles I'm about a third done. I'm hoping to get it all done and get the binding put on tomorrow. I need the quilt ready for our trip next week but my kids are having a Halloween party and I need to give up my sewing table so they have party room I have a thousand things to do before Halloween and then a thousand more between Halloween and our trip!! Yikes!
    Old 10-28-2014, 12:10 AM

Yes,yes,yes you can use your walking foot for the straight and any gentle curves you may decide sometime to use.
    I like your idea myself I would just do 3 curved lines on each triangle to begin with this way you stabilise each triangle and can do a line or column without stopping and less ends to thread in.
    Old 10-28-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    When I make a quilt with an angular design, I actually like to do the opposite - quilt it with softer curves. I feel it gives the quilt more 'life' or 'movement' and then doesn't detract or 'fight' with the original pattern.

I agree it would be a great feature on the back, but most people will care about the front (although I do know someone who gave a beautiful, intricate quilt as a gift and the recipient preferred the pattern of the fabric on the back, lol).

It's a lovely quilt whatever you decide
    The quilt is pretty, and I agree about the triangles fighting with each other. Curves, curlyques, or some such softer design would be my preference.

I hear you on the recipient liking the back of a quilt better. I gave my mother a table runner I made for her with flying geese on the front (her request). The backing was just a fabric that looked pieced, but wasn't. I went over one day, and she had it with the back facing up. She liked that better!! Yikes. Ok, she is 92!! All is forgiven!!
    Old 10-28-2014, 03:44 PM

I think you will find a simple cornelli/stippling stitch to be the easiest and very attractive as well. There would be no great directional changes and you could make the meandering loops as big as you liked.
    PS. I just saw your solution and I think it is an excellent one - enhancing the quilt. Good show.

Last edited by jitkaau; 10-28-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    Old 10-28-2014, 06:48 PM

Hang in there, you can do this with patience. I agree you may have starts and ends. If I am patient turning a quilt is not that bad. I have done a queen size quilt straight line on my home machine with a walking foot.
    Baste really well, especially borders, they get pulled on a lot. Have fun and enjoy the adventure!
    Old 10-29-2014, 06:05 AM

Yipers! Your choice of fabrics! The colors. The designs! A complete, intrinsic whole. Magnificent.

Maniacquilter said it well. I too would hate to see the fabrics, etc. disappear in the quilting. Whatever you finally decide, please retain the "whole." And since I am a tactile person, allow me to mention the drape of the final quilt.

When you have finished, please do show and tell!?

Pat
    Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 PM

That looks great! Love how the stitching crosses at the "intersections"! And it will make a nice looking pattern on the back, too. Beautiful quilt!
    Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 PM

Finished the quilting and got the binding on!! All I have left to do is finish sewing the binding and wash it can't wait to see it finished! I will post in the pictures forum when I get it done. Which has to be tomorrow because we leave early Thursday morning. Thanks for all the help and advice. I'm off to you tube to pick up some hand sewing tips.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Old 11-03-2014, 09:46 PM

It's beautiful! Great work. I know the recipient will really love it.