Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which Eleanor Burns book to buy? >
  • Which Eleanor Burns book to buy?

• Which Eleanor Burns book to buy?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 PM

I love love love Eleanor Burns! She is my hero. I took a class as a beginner in 1993 using her Trio of Treasures book to make the Bear Claw. All of her books are wonderful. I am not crazy about the patterns - not enough information for beginners.
    Irish Chain is probably the best 3 color quilt you can make. Log Cabin is second - and good practice to keep the seams at 1/4"
    Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by LadybugPam
    I love love love Eleanor Burns! She is my hero. I took a class as a beginner in 1993 using her Trio of Treasures book to make the Bear Claw. All of her books are wonderful. I am not crazy about the patterns - not enough information for beginners.
    Irish Chain is probably the best 3 color quilt you can make. Log Cabin is second - and good practice to keep the seams at 1/4"
    Are you saying that her patterns don't give enough information for beginners? I thought that she was the one author who took you step by step through the process and that is why I wanted to get one of her books as a "how to quilt". I have bought books that others recommend and find that they don't give step by step directions. Is there anyone who does this?
    Old 09-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Love lots of her books. Favorite and have it several times is a log cabin book.
    Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Love lots of her books. Favorite and have it several times is a log cabin book.
    Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ceil
    Originally Posted by LadybugPam
    Are you saying that her patterns don't give enough information for beginners? I thought that she was the one author who took you step by step through the process and that is why I wanted to get one of her books as a "how to quilt". I have bought books that others recommend and find that they don't give step by step directions. Is there anyone who does this?
    They were step by step enough in "Irish Chain" for me to make my first quilt, and I have a brain injury. I would be honored to answer questions if you need help.
    Old 09-08-2011, 07:49 PM

It's El-ementary is wonderful with step-by-step directions and pictures for each step in making really cute squares. Very easy to follow. I love it.
    Old 09-09-2011, 04:51 AM

the very lst quilt i made when i started quilting again and doing rotary cutting was eleanor burns single irish chain. it's quick, easy, and gets a project done in a real short time. so you can see what you accomplised. IRISH CHAIN for sure.

easy step by step directions in it. a REAL beginner can do it. i am always suggesting this book to people who want to start quilting.
    Old 09-09-2011, 05:00 AM
    Swap Hosts

I have Quilting with Confidence and it is really a good one for a beginner.
    Old 09-09-2011, 05:23 AM

I love Nana's Garden. Don't know if it's still available but it was very easy & very quick. you can see progress quickly & use scraps too
    Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 AM

I have some of her books. I like the easy to follow directions and her quilts. I especially like "Quilts thru the Seasons". Lots of different quilts to make.