Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt >
  • Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt

• Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt

Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 AM

You must take care to use consistent 1/4" seams throughout a log cabin block in order to have them come out perfectly square. To me, consistent stitch width is more important than whether you cut a strips length before or after stitching.
    Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by RV Quilter
    I use the EB method and love it. Cut all your different pieces and piece all your blocks at once. It is so easy and you don't confused as to where you are at. You will love it!!
    That's the method I use and I love it, too.
    Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM

I always use E. burns patterns. They are easy to understand. The link is a picture of a
    Log Cabin quilt I made using he pattern for the blocks. A simple block can make a very
    nice quilt.http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ed-t66548.html
    Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM

eb has video online for many of her quilts, including log cabin
    here is the website http://quiltinaday.com/theater/library.html

the log cabin is included in the 25th anniversary series.
    Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 PM

I have made several LC quilts and love EB's method. The directions are also found in Alex Anderson's Start Quilting book, which I use when I teach my Learn to Quilt series every quarter at my LQS. One trick that I teach all the new students was briefly mentioned earlier in this thread....cut you last 2 outside strips 1/2" wider than all your other pieces (i.e.. one last strip which goes horizontally and one last one going vertically). So if all your strips so far have been 2 1/2" wide, cut these at 3". This way, once you've starched and pressed, you will have some "wiggle room" in squaring up your blocks. Many new quilters find their blocks coming out a bit too small because there are so many seams in a LC block. Good luck!
    Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM

I agree with Suzie Quilts. I have taught the class and made quilts by EB's method. It goes very fast and is easy to square up. Just cut strips and start sewing!!

Kathy in TX

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts
    I have taught a beginners class using her method of a long cabin quilt. I have seen two editions, and she has changed the book, somewhat. You cut 2 1/2 inch strips and sew the block to the strip each time and cut. You do not press until you are finished. I recommend buying her book, as she has some good techiques that will help you get the block to lay right, and lots of pictures for ideas of block placement. Amazon is a cheaper way to go.
    Old 04-03-2012, 02:21 PM

I have made 2 log cabin quilts and enjoyed the process. I just sewed the strips and then cut. Blocks fit just fine. I now have Judy Martin's book and can't wait to start on one of hers! She precuts all the strips and lays them out in trays. Sounds like a good way to go.
    Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 PM

I have made a king size log cabin using Eleanor's method and helped to make 2 more queen size log cabins for gifts for former pastors of our church. Her method is very fast and easy.
    Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts
    I have taught a beginners class using her method of a long cabin quilt. I have seen two editions, and she has changed the book, somewhat. You cut 2 1/2 inch strips and sew the block to the strip each time and cut. You do not press until you are finished. I recommend buying her book, as she has some good techiques that will help you get the block to lay right, and lots of pictures for ideas of block placement. Amazon is a cheaper way to go.
    I agree with Suzie, I have made at least 4 LC's using Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt in a Day book. I love her method. I can't say anything about other authors and their methods, as I haven't tried theirs. But I highly recommend her book, if you don't have it I suggest that you get it, just my opinion. I love her method and think it is really quick and easy to do.
    Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 AM

Default Log cabin

Originally Posted by piepatch
    Needing information on the Eleanor Burns Log Cabin quilt from anyone who has made it. I had some E B instructions long ago, but I think she has revised them in recent years (not sure). I have heard her version is a good one, and would like to hear from someone who has made it. For that matter, I would like to hear from anyone who has made ANY Log Cabin quilt, and what you have to say about your method. Do you cut your strips to size, or cut long strips and sew and cut? Thanks so much.
    I am addicted to log cabin and use it for all my quilts! There are so many variations that they all look completely different. I always use foundation piecing so don't cut the strips to the exact length - and I always add an extra 1/4 inch to the width, trimming with an 'add a 1/4' ruler after stitching each strip. This method does take a little longer but it's well worth it for the accuracy it produces. Also, I always cut the strips on the lengthwise grain so that there is no stretch - if you cut across the width of the fabric, the strips are not nearly as stable. Hope this helps!