Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt >
  • Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt

• Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt

Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 AM

Default Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt

Needing information on the Eleanor Burns Log Cabin quilt from anyone who has made it. I had some E B instructions long ago, but I think she has revised them in recent years (not sure). I have heard her version is a good one, and would like to hear from someone who has made it. For that matter, I would like to hear from anyone who has made ANY Log Cabin quilt, and what you have to say about your method. Do you cut your strips to size, or cut long strips and sew and cut? Thanks so much.
    Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 AM

I have taught a beginners class using her method of a long cabin quilt. I have seen two editions, and she has changed the book, somewhat. You cut 2 1/2 inch strips and sew the block to the strip each time and cut. You do not press until you are finished. I recommend buying her book, as she has some good techiques that will help you get the block to lay right, and lots of pictures for ideas of block placement. Amazon is a cheaper way to go.
    Old 04-02-2012, 05:21 AM
    Power Poster

I prefer Judy Martin's method, which includes cutting the strips to size. I never have to trim or square a block with her method. I also highly recommend the book, because there are lots of beautiful patterns and techniques in it.
    Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 AM

I've made two log cabin quilts in my life. My only regret is that the first one I wanted totally scrappy, and I drove myself nuts cutting lots of different strips in all the necessary sizes and then trying not to duplicate any fabrics in the block. The second time around, I used the same fabric for all the logs in the light color, which made the whole thing much, much easier.

The first time, I cut all the logs in advance. I don't always have perfect seams, so some of my blocks weren't perfect, but oddly enough all the blocks fit together fine. The second time, since I was using the one light fabric, I sewed blocks to strips of the light fabric and just cut up the darks. It went much faster, and I was able to trim as I went and things stayed a little straighter.

I think either way is fine, it depends on how you feel about detailed work. I like quick finishes!
    Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 AM

I have the EB book I have made two and will do another this year. I like the assembly line sewing for log cabins personally because I think they are boring to do one block at a time. Just me! PM me if you need help...
    Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM

I have made several log cabin quilts. I always cut mine to size and I have never had a problem. I have used judy Martins and Thimbleberries patterns.
    Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM

I use the EB method and love it. Cut all your different pieces and piece all your blocks at once. It is so easy and you don't confused as to where you are at. You will love it!!
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 PM

My very first attempt at quilting was the log cabin she started with, in one of those magazines, it was a kit and I still have it although it is pretty pitiful. I knew nothing about seams, (1/4" seams), and the fact that they have to connect, but I think it is still beautiful. It is stored or retired but I still love it.
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 PM

I've only made blocks for wallhangings, but I cut my strips first. You can still chain piece them to speed up the assembly process. I think if I tried the strip method without pressing and squaring each time, I'd get a new version of wonky. By precutting, I know my 10 1/2" block will be just that.
    Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM

I have made one log cabin from the OLD EB book using the strip piecing method and two using the precut method. It's a toss up -- lately the precut method has been quicker. I would get her newer book since she did update it.