Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Elmer's washable? >
  • Elmer's washable?

• Elmer's washable?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by toverly
    She decided to take the glue out halfway thru the process and washed top and batting in the washing machine. Can you imagine the mess?
    D'oh! Yes I can imagine that mess! Why the washing machine and not just soak it out!?

Maybe she's the type that needs a little wine to loosen up before quilting and she went overboard that day. (Been there, done that! LOL)

Speaking of Elmer's...anybody know where the best deals are on buying a gallon? I'm tired of squeezing these little bottles!
    Old 06-03-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by gale
    I think the school glue is the same thing as Roxanne's basting glue. Which is sold specifically for using on quilts.
    At quite an increase in price. The main thing to remember is thin. Spread the glue (dots, squiggles, lines, roller, spray) smooth out any lumps or bumps. You can buy a gallon from Amazon for about $18. I've been using off my gallon for a year and a half with very little gone. It was my Christmas gift to myself!
    Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    linda, thanks for doing the search. to post the link, click on the url in the web address box above. when it turns blue, right click and choose 'copy'. then come to the post you are making, right click again and choose 'paste'. here is the link http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t219854.html

Sounds like Greek to me! LOL Where is the web address, url? I know how to turn it blue and copy and paste, but I don't know from where.

Last edited by maviskw; 06-03-2014 at 07:20 AM.
    Old 06-03-2014, 08:30 AM

I've been glue-basting my doll quilts and other small items for a couple of years now. No problems whatsoever. I don't dilute it or anything (I did at first, but I didn't feel it was necessary). I just run a tiny-beaded grid over the quilt top, lay the batting on top, and iron it to make the glue dry fast. Repeat for the backing. As long as you use only a tiny bit of glue, it doesn't soak through the fabric when ironed or make a big hard lump. (Note: If you're using poly batting, make sure the iron's not set too high or it could melt it.)

When I'm quilting the item, I can't even tell the glue is there. My machine never misses a beat.

I don't see this as being any different than sewing through Steam-A-Seam (and similar products), as long as the glue is completely dry.
    Old 06-03-2014, 09:27 AM

Leaning a little away from the topic of Elmer's glue (which I think QB members endorse it), I have found a less expensive 'starch' to use too. Recently I discovered that it had a 'glue' feature to it too. Best of both worlds.

Basic recipe is:

1 cup water
    2 T cornstarch (use more for a stiffer starch)
    Few drop of your essential oil OR 1 T (or more) of lemon juice

When using lemon juice, I count it as part of the liquid measurement and the best benefit is that the starch does not have to be refrigerated with the lemon juice.

I make 16 oz bottles of this at a time using an empty Niagra starch bottle.

** Be sure to shake the bottle before spraying...especially if it has sat for a few days ***

I used this starch when pressing down a 1/4" piece of fabric on one side of a Dresden plate blade and found that after pressing it, the fabric was lighted glued down. I was happy with that!

Have learned that several QB members use this recipe and have loved it for years.
    Old 06-03-2014, 09:58 AM

I glue base all my bindings - never had a problem with the needle or machine. I even tried glue basing a table runner that I could quilt on my domestic machine, no problems their either. I do prefer the white glue to the clear glue.
    Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by gale
    I think the school glue is the same thing as Roxanne's basting glue. Which is sold specifically for using on quilts.
    ...but of course the cost of one is much higher than the other!
    Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 PM

I heavily glue basted something small one time and ended up breaking a couple of needles before I figured out that next time I will specifically put the glue dots or lines where I will not be sewing.....I prefer the basting sprays myself.
    Old 06-03-2014, 01:32 PM

Sharon Schambers, a well know prize winning quilter and author of many books, uses the Elmers WASHABLE school glue--the purple one--for her applique with applique fiber. She then machine quilts it down. I am doing a hand applique project using her method. I many never go back to needle turn! And I really liked needle turn. If it is good for the best, it is good for me too.

It is worth mentioning that Sharon Schambers heat sets (dries) the glue. I urge you not to sew through wet glue. That just may damage or stick to something.
    Old 06-03-2014, 03:37 PM

You might be able to get the glue in the gallon jug more cheaply if you buy it from a school supply store, especially during August when there are "Back to School" sales. I used School Specialty.com for it when I was teaching Right now it's $14.89 a gallon (which would last forever if diluted!), but I'm sure would be cheaper in August.