Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Elna insights?  Modern Elnas, Elna 740 eXellence, brand in general? >
  • Elna insights? Modern Elnas, Elna 740 eXellence, brand in general?

• Elna insights? Modern Elnas, Elna 740 eXellence, brand in general?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:02 PM

Thx Jodi! Good info. I bought a Babylock Quest Plus in October. It is very similar to the Elna 7300 and the Janome 6600 and the newer Pfaff 1100C Pro or "Smarter". I paid $1300, after haggling! I love mine too! If I do as much as I hope to with the BLQP, then I plan to upgrade to a Horizon or Elna 740 eXellence. That's why I'm asking about Elnas, so thx for your input. This board rocks!
    Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 PM

I have an Elna Super I received in 1972. It has been serviced once (needed cleaning after a few years of no use) and it still sews beautifully. Very well made, just wish I had taken the classes offered so I could use it to it's max.
    Old 12-23-2010, 04:08 AM

Janome is a Japanese company. New Home which was an American company, sold out to Janome in 1960. Later on machine brand name was changed.

Article:
    By By a WALL STREET JOURNAL Staff Reporter, The Wall Street Journal, 193 words
    Jul 19, 1960
    LOS ANGELES--New Home Sewing Machine Co., a subsidiary of Free Sewing Machine Co., was purchased for an undisclosed amount of cash by Janome Sewing Machine Co., Ltd., of Japan, T. Carroll Deamer, executive vice president of New Home, announced. The purchase is effective August 31.

Janome America-- is the American "branch" of a Japanese company.

In 1994-- Janome and Elna partnered to share technology and design plans, as a way of improving both companies machines and maintaining market share in respective markets. You'll notice Janome is easy to find in America...Elna is easier to find in Europe...hhhhhmmmm...very interesting! ---

Article 1994
    GENEVA, Switzerland, May 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Tavaro S.A. Geneva (Switzerland), manufacturer of the Elna sewing machines, and Janome Sewing Machine Co. Ltd. Tokyo (Japan) announced today that they have started to cooperate in the development and production of household sewing machines.
    The objective of this cooperation is to strengthen the worldwide market position of both companies. Both parties will be working closely together to develop and manufacture sewing machines while maintaining separate corporate identities and sales organizations.
    Elna and Janome have already begun to exchange expertise, technology and know-how on the design, development and production of … (unfortunately, you have to pay to read the entire article)

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-15208967.html

Janome is the world leader in sewing machine production. And be advised-- Brother also produces in Japan, so you have wonder where your Babylock is made too. Here look for yourself:

http://news.cens.com/cens/html/en/ne...ner_23981.html

And did you know Viking, Pfaff and Singer are all held by the same holding company??

It is all very homogeneous-- and these companies hold their secrets very close. Bottom line-- The Elna you are interested in was developed in cooperation with Janome, that is not a bad thing. Most sewing machines world wide are manufactured in Asia, that is not a bad thing.

Just find what you like, what works well for you--and be happy!