Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • embroidery machine comparisons >
  • embroidery machine comparisons

• embroidery machine comparisons

Old 01-31-2014, 07:30 AM

I have the original embroidery machine that Bernina produced, the 650 Deco. I have used it almost to pieces. I have bought it presents, like an extension table, additional hoops and tons of software. The thing I liked about it the most is that the hoop attaches on the inside of the sewing surface next to the body of the machine. This allows for easy hooping of almost anything, especially bigger stuff. I also purchased additional bigger hoops for it through Nancy's Notions. When most of he designs started coming out on CDs instead of the little cards I broke down and purchased a Brother PE780D. It also uses the cards but can also use the little plugin UBS sticks. Now I can use the designs that only come on CD because I can load them on the UBS stick with my computer. The thing I don't like about the Brother is that the hoops attaches on the outside of the machine which makes it hard to cram larger or bulky objects to be embroidered in the space between where the hoop attaches and the body of the machine. I embroidery designs on a lot of sweatshirts and other bulky items. Since I am a plus size lady my garments are also plus size. My advice would be to purchase whatever machine in your price range allows for the hoop to be attached on the inside of the harp. If you intend to embroider larger items you might also need to invest in larger hoops. The embroidered designs come out so much better if you can get them done in one hooping.
    Old 01-31-2014, 07:54 AM
    anonymous

I have the janome 15000, which I love. No problems and easy to use. I also have the bernina 8 series machine. If you look online the 8 series have had their issues, especially with the updates. I have not done all of the updates and have avoided the problems. It is definitely a computer and has a learning curve. That said, it is wonderful to be able to adjust everything for whatever you are working on. The stitches are beautiful and I like the bernina feet and attachments. In my experience, the janome is easier to use, but the bernina has lots of options, you just need to decide if you will make the effort to learn them and use them. Oh, one more thing I think bernina is pricier than other brands.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:37 AM

I have a Babylock Crescendo for my regular sewing machine, but as a lighter weight take it anywhere machine I got a Brother 950, which is a combo sewing/embroidery. Of course, it only has the 4x4 embroidery space, which really is fine by me. My reasoning was that if I was going to get a second machine, it might as well do something that my main machine does not. It is a great machine for what it is designed for. I've only done small designs on linen towels and napkins, but that is all I really expect to want to do anytime in the forseeable future.
    Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 AM

I'm sure it all boils down to what you want to spend. As someone else mentioned, there are all sorts of machines in every brand--from simpler to TOTL.
    Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 AM

I wanted Disney designs, so I had to go try out the Brother emb machines. Settled on the 4500 Duetta, and I just love it. It's fairly heavy of course, but I can even take it to quilt retreats so I can embroider if I finish my quilt projects. Bought the fabric carrier on wheels so it's easier to take along.
    Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 AM

While comparing machines, very few people touch on the issue of design formats. If you go the Bernina route, it uses ART format...and you will need specific Bernina software. If you should collect some freebie designs, or buy from a vendor that does not offer ART, it has to be converted. My friend can use HUS and then the machine automatically convert for her, but no other formats! I have a VIking Diamond. I can load VP3, VIP, HUS, JEF, SEW, DST, etc. but not ART. Just a note to be aware (not beware!)
    Old 01-31-2014, 11:43 AM

Why not try a Janome before deciding it is not for you? I have a Janome Memory Craft 10001 and it switches easily from embroidery to sewing. I have never had a bit of trouble with it. I would love to upgrade but really cannot justify that because I am so satisfied with what I have.
    If you can test sew a Janome, do it then you will know if it is not what you want.
    Old 01-31-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by linda8450
    While comparing machines, very few people touch on the issue of design formats. If you go the Bernina route, it uses ART format...and you will need specific Bernina software. If you should collect some freebie designs, or buy from a vendor that does not offer ART, it has to be converted. My friend can use HUS and then the machine automatically convert for her, but no other formats! I have a VIking Diamond. I can load VP3, VIP, HUS, JEF, SEW, DST, etc. but not ART. Just a note to be aware (not beware!)
    The 8 series uses .EXP software, not .art.
    Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 PM

I have 4 Janomes. Two are combo machines. I just bought the Janome 9900 sew/embroid. MSRP is $5,000. I LOVE IT. I have never had any problems with any of my Janomes.

The janome 12000 TOL can be purchased around $6500-$8,000 in that ball park. The new 15000 is around $12,000 MSRP . Too rich for my blood. But beautiful machines just the same. Interesting that you seem adamant about not looking at a Janome. My 2 cents.

sandy
    Old 02-01-2014, 07:55 AM

Check out the machines BabyLock has to offer. I have had an Ellageo for several years. {it uses floppy discs and cards, that's how old it is} I plan to upgrade some day but this machine has been wonderful and like an old friend, I don't want to part with it.