Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • embroidery machine comparisons >
  • embroidery machine comparisons

• embroidery machine comparisons

Old 02-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Try them out before you buy, Bernina are fussy. I have a baby lock Ellisome and it is very Ez to use, I have had mine Ellisimo for over 3 years someday's I am on it for 6-8 hours, all if have to do is change the thread and bobbins, clear a thread here or there. If I had a machine that you had you had to keep adjusting I can tell would never use it.

I have 3 other machines that I use for all my other sewing. I keep my Ellisimo just for my Embroidery. It is also a sewing machine.
    Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 PM

I have a Bernina 440 with embroidery for about 6 years and I love the quality of embroidery I get. I did take the series of classes that Bernina offers and once I understood it how to use it, it is easy to use and not fussy at all. The 400 series was the only one they did that required the machine to be hooked to a computer to embroider and they found out prople didn't like that so everything else has the embroidery capibilities built in. I personally prefer to edit my design on the larger computer screen and not the small screen on the machine. I have the Bernina software too (not the latest version 7) and it is expensive but Bernina gives away its ARTlink program to open and convert other design formats.

http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Product...ArtLink-Six-en

I would like to have a machine that takes the Jumbo hoops but a new Bernina is not in my plans until I retire in 4 years. Then I'll see what they have. I have all the other hoop sizes - including the Megahoop.

I would certaintly try out other brands and see them in action but I won't deny I'm a Bernina gal. (not to slight any of my much-beloved herd of vintage machines)
    Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 PM
    Gay

I've had 3 Brother embroidery/sewing machines , different models, and have sold the 1st -oldest- one. They are very user friendly and have never changed the format from PES, like other brands have. And no, not all designs come in all formats, that's why we have to buy computer software to change them. In many cases the dealer will include one of these programs in the sale- if you pressure him/her, I have Buzz Xplore for this. It's only a 30sec job to take the embroidery unit off, then change the sewing foot, and the newer machine only needs the foot changed. The only thing not available is the large quilters hoop which is about 14" square. I've bought the 'Hoop-it-All' and it works well.
    Make sure a machine can do all you want it to do before you buy
    Old 02-04-2014, 02:03 AM

I could not agree more with comments on Bernina machines I have a 180 embroidery ,440 embroidery , 830 embroidery just love everyone of them , have never had a problem with any of them , I use my 440 to do all my piecing for quilts , my 180 I cart all over the place to classes I take and teach, my jewel in he crown sits in the pride of place in my sewing room , stitches out the biggest designs , I only use artlink lite available free of the net it does everything I will ever do with designs , if you feel you need more with computer side of thing I also like Embird .
    Happy to answer any questions you have on Bernina , the technician I talk to has the answer for anything , wonderful young man . Happy sewing whatever you decide to get , Cathy
    Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by quilter9950
    Hi, I am looking for any information or comments regarding the comparison of various sewing/embroidery machines. I DO NOT want a Janome. I am leaning towards one of the 700 or 800 series Bernina sewing/emboidery machine but would like comments from the forum.

Thank you.
    We do not have a Bernina dealer anywhere close to where I live - so that machine was not an option for me when I began my search back in 2005...

You need to research the local DEALERS, then the machines each sells to find what best suits you. I started out with Husquvarna Vikings - and loved the machines (still do)...but I had to purchase the software in order to perform many of the more advanced functions.

I then purchased a Pfaff Creative Sensation - and I am SO IN LOVE with this machine. It does so many of the functions without the need to go to the laptop and fire up the software............I can leave the embroidery arm on the machine - and a simple touch of one button switches the machine from embroidery to sewing........no messing with tensions (it adjusts automatically) ......

Having Dealer support is, IMHO, as important as the functions available on the machine.

Good luck in your search! Let us know what you decide.
    Old 02-04-2014, 01:42 PM

I will keep my Bernina 440QE with embroidery module. I want to keep it -- it is a great machine. But it is also transportable and a group of friends gets together monthly at another's house to do machine embroidery.

The new embroidery machine I am hoping to get, will stay set up in my sewing room. I also have another sewing machine that I can sew on instead of or while I am doing machine embroidery.

IF I were to go to a straight embroidery machine, what would be the recommendations…..???
    Old 02-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Good point.
    Originally Posted by MacThayer
    Personally, I would never get a combination sewing/embroidery machine again. You want to sew, but then you have to stop and set the machine up all fancy, including adjusting the tension, and then take the time for the embroidery pattern to be sewn - and THEN take it all apart and set it back up for sewing, including adjusting the tension. The next one I get will be a straight sewing machine. Perhaps later I'll get a straight embroidery machine that I can set up and leave with all the adjustments done so it's ready to go. I'd certainly increase the amount of embroidery I do if I had a 'stand alone' set of machines.
    Old 03-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by summitbay
    I have the janome 15000, which I love. No problems and easy to use. I also have the bernina 8 series machine. If you look online the 8 series have had their issues, especially with the updates. I have not done all of the updates and have avoided the problems. It is definitely a computer and has a learning curve. That said, it is wonderful to be able to adjust everything for whatever you are working on. The stitches are beautiful and I like the bernina feet and attachments. In my experience, the janome is easier to use, but the bernina has lots of options, you just need to decide if you will make the effort to learn them and use them. Oh, one more thing I think bernina is pricier than other brands.
    Summitbay,
    I'm looking at the Janome 15000 and the Bernina 780E or an 800. (the 780 has the large bobbin) In what ways does the Bernina have more options? It's rare to find someone who can compare both and I'd appreciate your opinion.
    Old 03-05-2014, 02:31 PM

I agree with suggestions of trying out various machines and various options on them. I, too, have an older Janome 9000 combo sewing and quilting machine and wouldn't ever trade it. Had the earlier 8000 which I loved, but my husband surprised me one year with the 9000 and I'll never look back. Have use a Bernina and Elna and liked them, too, but swear by the ease and functions of the Janome. Try them all out before you decide. They are an investment. Good luck.
    Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 PM

I have a Viking SE and don't have to remove the embroidery arm to straight sew. However with my Designer 1 I did have to remove the embroidery unit. I also know that the Bernina ART embroidery language doesn't play well with the Viking, Singer or other manufacturers of machines. Calla